Fri 09/30 06:14:18 EAT

The rising sun streams through the rear window of the van. Addis Ababa looms ahead of us. I stretch my arms out, working out the kinks from sleeping in my seat. I open my extra eyes and let them float around. Louise and Andrea's heads are resting against each other in the row ahead of me, still sleeping. I don't even need to check Evan and Marc, their snores are distinct enough that I already know they're still sleeping. Jeff is awake in the passenger seat, his gaze contemplating the city ahead of us. The dark circles under his eyes tell me he didn't sleep much as Ibrahim drove us through the night.

The skyscrapers of Addis Ababa's skyline contrast sharply with the small buildings and modest huts we've been around all week. It's strange to see a big, modern city like this when I know that a few miles from here there are people who still don't have running water. I see my siblings stir as the van slows down in the morning traffic of the city.

We pull up to an American-style cafe for breakfast. I smell bacon. Mmmm, bacon. I haven't had that for a while. The aroma calls to me as Kofi leads us in. Father and Chad are already seated inside, waiting for us along with the other three guides. One side of the cafe is made of glass, a huge window out onto the waking city. I look out as we wait to order. Ethiopian cuisine is good, but even the best food gets old after a while. I'm up for something different, so I get the waffle combo.

As the feeding frenzy slows, Father addresses us. "We'll be using the buddy system again today, children. I assume you want the same pairings as in Djibouti?"

Most of us nod. Enough that Father takes it as yes, anyway. Jeff hangs his head in disappointment, clearly less than thrilled to have Marc as his buddy again.

Once breakfast is over, Evan and I hop into one of the trucks with Ibrahim to take a tour of the city. Our first stop is the National Museum. Ibrahim gets us in, then settles in on a bench for a nap while we explore. I can't blame him, driving through the night must have left him exhausted.

There's a lot of cool history here. We spend the morning wandering the exhibits, seeing artifacts and fancy robes from ancient kings. Lucy's skeleton is cool. She was the original local girl here from three million years back.

The upstairs collection is mostly paintings and sculptures. Neither of us are big art enthusiasts, so we just kind of skim through, glancing at pictures but not lingering on anything. We're about to head back downstairs when we run into the girls. Andrea is clearly enthralled with the exhibitions, Louise decidedly less so.

"Hey, you two want to get lunch in a few?" Evan asks them. I hadn't realized it was almost time for that. It's amazing that I can still lose track of the hour with a clock literally stuck in my brain.

"Sorry," Louise sighs. "I don't think we'll be leaving here for a while. Andrea loves this place. You guys go on ahead."

Evan excuses himself to hit the restroom, which makes Andrea realize that she has to go too. Louise and I are left in one of the otherwise empty galleries. That works for me. I've been wanting to catch her alone.

"Hey, I want to try to bring Evan in," I whisper. "You know, on the big secret." She doesn't say anything. Just gives me a serious look. "Are you OK with that?"

"I know you two are besties," she whispers back. "But this is a big deal. Are you sure he's going to want in?"

"No, I'm not sure yet, but he's said some things that make me think he might come on board once he knows everything. I'll feel him out carefully and only tell him if I'm sure. Will Andrea be OK with it?"

"Evan is Andrea's next favorite person after me," she answers. "If you can convince him, she'll be more than OK. And Evan knows how to keep his mouth shut. But be sure you're sure. If you tell him and you're wrong, things won't end well."