1

Luigi can't tell if the flatline really is that loud, or if his fried nerves are enhancing every little noise in the lab, begging to hear Mario breathe.

"Clear!"

Mario's body convulses from the shock, causing the monitor to bleep for a few seconds, then flatline again.

"Mariooooooo!" Luigi screams from the same position; standing over Mario's dead body, foreheads pressed together, willing his best friend to be okay.

"Clear!"

Luigi can't even speak anymore, just begins hyperventilating as he refuses to let go of Mario's face as he cries.

"Clear!"

But suddenly, even the flatline stops, and everyone in the room is silent as they look at Mario, still lifeless.

"Call it." The medic orders, making Luigi look up long enough to gasp in despair. "Now."

"Time of death--"

"STOP!"

The abrupt cut off makes both medics turn to Luigi, who looks furious.

"He's not dead. You hear me?" He yells. "Zap him again. Do it!"

"Luigi--"

"I said zap him. NOW!" Luigi's not fucking around anymore, but in the next instant, the bravado is gone as he starts crying again, "I can feel it. He's not leaving me. Zap him, damn you!"

"Do as he says." Snoozemore says behind them.

The medic takes out the paddles and yells, "Clear!", before Mario's body convulses.

But as the flatline stays the same, Luigi shoves the medic away, snapping, "Get away from him!", as he leans over Mario's body, starting compressions.

The lab all watches as Luigi's compressions start off strong, then become more frantic as he starts breathing heavily from the exertion.

"Fuck you, Mario, you've never given up on anybody in your life!" He screams, then slaps Mario's face. "Now FIGHT!" He slaps him again. "FIGHT! RIGHT NOW!" He practically punches Mario's chest. "FIGHT, YOU BASTARD!"

But eventually, reality hits him like a freight train, and instantly, his body collapses on top of Mario's as he starts crying and screaming.

"No no no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOO!"

He feels like his lungs can't get enough air, like his heart is beating slower than its normal rhythm, but he couldn't care less, just lays there against Mario's still chest and cries.

It takes Luigi a second to feel the hand on the back of his neck, but right as he's about to swat it away, he hears it: Mario's heart against his ear.

He slowly lifts his head, not daring to hope he's right, but the second he sees those beautiful blue eyes, he whimpers, "M-Mario?"

"Tell me..." These are the first barely uttered words to come out of Mario's mouth, and they're the most beautiful thing Luigi's heard in his life. "You saw who Kamella was talking to."

Luigi says through choked sobs, "Nuh uh."

"Bummer." Mario whispers. "Cause I'm not going back in there."

Luigi can't help himself, first he snorts, then he's laughing hysterically.

"If you weren't half dead right now, I'd fucking kill you." He promises, pulling out his earpiece and throwing it away, then wrapping his arms around Mario in a hug, not paying attention to the rest of the lab's cheers.