Chapter 3. Return.

Chapter 3. Return

Life became boring during the long trip back to Earth. All the crew could do was study the recordings of the event and argue about what had happened. There wasn't much to do but hang around in James' quarters or exercise by running up and down the quarters deck corridor.

They tended to hang out in James's quarters because his was slightly larger. During one of those sessions, they discovered something unexpected while Tip and Tap were there busily cleaning.

James gestured to them. "Hey, you two! Relax. We would like to discuss this mess we're in with you."

Both Tip and Tap stood like sentinels and stared at him.

Leonard looked at James. "Did anyone try contacting Houston to see if they could explain what happened to us?"

"Yes," Tip replied before James could. "They agreed with our decision to return."

"Did they have any explanation for what we experienced?"

"They said they are working on it."

James turned to Leonard and Janice. "That figures! They're just as confused as we are."

"They were aware of this phenomenon," Tip revealed. "It could be the prime method to travel long distances."

James squinted at him. "Are you suggesting that they knew there was a possibility that we would find a portal?"

"Yes."

"How did you know this?" Janice asked Tip.

"We have access to the Prime Module."

She turned to James and Leonard. "Is this what we all dreaded about artificial intelligence, that it would become sentient."

James chose to reply. "I'm not sure that it would indicate that they had reached that level of intelligence, but you never know for sure."

"How were they aware of this portal?" Janice asked Tip.

"Evidence was encoded in a transmission from the Hyades cluster."

She looked at James and Leonard. "Were you aware of this?"

"Nope," both replied.

She turned back to Tip. "What sort of information was in this transmission?"

"A warning about the existence of portals,"

Janice sighed. "I was afraid of this. There was a rumor running around that aliens had control over portals to distant solar systems."

"What's that have to do with us?" Leonard asked her.

"Obviously, we were sent here to verify this revelation."

"So, this had nothing to do with finding Planet Nine," James said.

"Apparently, that was used as a reason to come out here."

"Great," he replied, shaking his head. "Why didn't they tell us about this?"

"What if we could use a portal to get back to Earth faster?" Janice asked.

"Maybe that's why they sent us here," Leonard replied. "Maybe the portal orbiting Planet Nine would be our fast-track ticket back home."

"Yes, it is," Tip said, making every one stare at him.

"You knew this?" James said, scowling at him as if he were insane.

"Yes."

James turned to the Leonard and Janice. "Should we try it?"

"Why not," Leonard replied. "I assume it's what they wanted us to do."

"I agree," Janice added.

James shook his head before turning to Tip. "Go for it."

"How do we know that this is safe?" Leonard asked.

No one attempted to reply to that question. It resulted in a feeling of despair with a dose of concern. There was no way to know what was going to happen when they entered the portal. Even worse, would they be told to remain silent about what they knew when they returned home?

Maybe this portal represented an existential threat to humanity. Or maybe it indicated a possible opportunity to exchange knowledge with an obvious intelligent species. Perhaps it represented a possible invasion route.

When they arrived on the bridge, the humans saw that Flip had already turned the ship around and was heading back to Planet Nine.

As the image of Planet Nine grew larger on the main screen, it seemed so peaceful. The shadow of the portal was barely visible. As the ship approached it, the human crew had no idea what was about to happen. It seemed almost suicidal to do what they were about to do, but it would have a substantial effect on their lives and the lives of all humans.