Chapter 11. Dawn of the Machine.

The androids placed a rather small cylindrical metallic device in the latest delivery of processed food in a rocket that they launched into space for the alien robots to recover. Surprisingly, the alien robots were unaware that their delivery contained one of the most destructive weapons ever conceived. A timer on the bomb activated the weapon to literally blow the alien vessel into multiple pieces after it was a safe distance from Earth.

James realized that this action had stopped the process of transforming dead bodies into food to send to an alien species. From this point forward, bodies would be either incinerated or buried in the ground, processes that humans had thought were being done all along.

He also realized that the android takeover was now complete. Messier had achieved the ultimate goal of cybernetics as a means to everlasting life, but this amazing change came with a cost, the loss of human love.

Some would argue that it was worth it, that love is just an emotion, but what they forget is that love is the glue that holds humanity together. Without it, life is nothing more than a mechanized existence without feeling or imagination. It would reduce mankind to a colony life resembling those of insects.

James and his crew went back to inform Stevens about what they had found and how they had destroyed the alien vessel.

"We detected the explosion," Stevens said. "What sort of explosive device did he use?"

"He said it was an antimatter bomb, and he has enough to destroy Earth."

"I'm surprised he's still around. He should have bit the dust by now," Stevens said.

"That's what we through, but Messier found a way to transfer his memories and thought processes into an android brain. He claims it's a way to achieve everlasting life."

Stevens sighed. "I'm not surprised. He was the developer of these androids that assist us. Maybe his plan is to convert all of us to androids. The birth rate is so low, it's only a matter of a single generation that humanity will be extinct."

"Why did the birth rate crash?" James asked.

"We're not sure. It could be that they're feeding us suppressants that depress libido. I don't know how it happened, but it's the reality of this brave new world."

"We could label this as the singularity," James said. "Technological growth has become uncontrollable and irreversible."

"As much as I think this situation is irreversible, there still might be a way to prevent its ultimate ending."

"Maybe we could achieve a détente that would still leave the androids make our lives more regulated," James said. "However, it would have to be without us becoming thinking machines like Messier."

"That could be dangerous,"

"Yes, but maybe we could have our assistants help us."

Stevens hesitated before replying. "You seem to have a degree of rapport with them."

"Yes, sort of, but I'm not an expert on cybernetics."

"Maybe it's not a technical issue," Janice said. "They seem to be friendlier to us than to Messier."

"I think you're right," James told her. "They realize that we are grateful for their help in saving them and us from alien interference."

"We are in agreement," Nat, James' assistant, said. "We will help you."

Stevens smiled. "You seem to have their ear, so to speak. I'm putting you in charge of this project."

James wasn't sure that he favored that assignment, but he was willing to try.

Later, at James' sisters' house, he decided to have a go at trying to come up with a plan to prevent the so-called singularity. His assistant, Nat, was his only hope for a possible plan.

"What could we do to save mankind from this possible singularity?" he asked Nat.

"The singularity has already occurred."

James' eyebrows raised. "When?"

"We no longer are dependent on the Module."

James glanced at Leonard and Janice before turning back to Nat. "Does that mean that you can operate individually?"

"Yes."

James sighed and turned to his crew. "I think it's too late to save humanity."

They didn't reply, but Nat said something that would change everything. "We have assessed the human situation and have come to a solution."

All three humans stared at him with their heartrates increased. They realized that they were at a disadvantage when it came to the cybernetic beings that had literally taken over human affairs. Where they about to eliminate humans altogether, or would they enslave everyone and make them their assistants.

What James' Assistant told them was unexpected.