-My Solemn and Binding Promise- (Lockwood & Lucy)

(Written by E)

-Word count: 1671

-Set between the fourth and fifth book

A few minutes before, I had been forced by George to get his favourite biscuits (Jammy Dodgers) from Arif's because he had been too lazy to get his precious behind off the lounge, normally I would politely tell him to 'go jump off a cliff', but I had decided against it as Lockwood was sitting in the lounge room reading when George asked and politely offered to come with me. Lockwood had been pissing me off lately, not just from his stupid smirk but also the fact that he always jumps into things without thinking. This leads to how Lockwood and I ended up getting into a little bit of a dispute.

We were walking down the pathway that connects the businesses beside us to the ongoing traffic when Lockwood abruptly stopped in front of Arif's, we had been bickering the whole walk.

"Why does everything I do seem like the end of the world to you? Honestly Luce, I'm just trying to help. If I didn't 'jump' into cases, like you say, we wouldn't be a company anymore" he rolled his eyes, "If we took every precaution we would be just as stupid as those Fittes kids-"

I cut in "But those Fittes kids are successful, Lockwood, they don't live in fear of debt all the time-",

"So what you're saying is that you want to leave again, is that it, Lucy?-, I was taken back by him calling me Lucy and not Luce, "I'm trying my best and if that means that I have to 'jump' into things, then I will take it. Don't you realise that everything I do is for you..." he took a long pause, "for George, and for Holly." I take a deep breath. "So that's it?, that's all you're going to say?. I'm so sick of you starting to bicker with me at every chance you get, to just stop when I'm correct." he yells, loud enough for the whole street to hear.

"Fine, if you really want me to go I will." I yell back at him and storm towards our home. A few seconds after I walk away I hear some mumbling from him but I decide not to walk back over to him as it would cause more of a scene.

"Lucy, dinner!" I hear George yell at me. Dinner is what I have been dreading. I don't want to see his stupid smug face pretending everything is ok, when It's clearly not.

"Lucy I swear, If I have to wait one more second!" George yells again. I get off my bed and walk down the staircase, as I reach the second floor I see Lockwood's door open with a warm light inviting me in but I continue down the stairs and into the kitchen. As I step into the kitchen I am greeted with Lockwood sitting at the head of the table like usual.

"Ooo, here's the girl everyone has been waiting for" The skull twists his ectoplasm into a stupid face, "what's wrong now, boy problems?" I ignore the skull's remarks and pick him up regardless of his protests, I drag out my chair slowly staring at Lockwood while I do it, I place the Skull on my chair, twist the lid shut so I don't have to hear it's teasing and walk over to the chair opposing Lockwood and sit down, Lockwood raises an eyebrow at me and George gives me a stare. While we're eating I exchange dirty looks at Lockwood, he ends up looking anywhere but me when I look at him for too long.

"I don't wanna be in the middle of this, can you at least just talk normally during dinner and start staring at each other when I'm gone?" George says, killing the complete silence.

"I'm not doing anything until he apologises" I snap maliciously, my voice getting slightly louder.

"Are you kidding me, you want me to apologise?" Lockwood matches the tone of my voice, "I'm not the one who decides to complain about everything I do, I'm not the one who decides to be petty and switch their chair just to stare at me all dinner. I've had enough of this!" He gets up from his chair making it screech loudly, leaving his dishes on the table and walks out the door.