1.13

The group of four speed walked up a random street in downtown St Louis. Amaya and Percy were no longer holding hands after Amaya awkwardly pulled away a couple of minuets ago. They had absolutely no idea where they were going, but they did know that they were trying to put as much space between them and the monsters as possible.

"We aren't going to be able to outrun them for very long." Grover stated as they marched up a hill.

"We don't need to. We just need a safe place to hole up." Annabeth responded, sounding strangely confident considering the position they were in at the moment.

"Some place safe. Any ideas where we might find one of those?" Percy asked sarcastically.

"I do." Annabeth said, surprising everyone. "A sanctuary, dedicated to Athena, built by one of her demigod children a long time ago."

"There's an Athenian temple hidden somewhere in the middle of downtown St Louis?" Amaya asked waving her hands around.

"Yes." Annabeth deadpanned. "Except it's not all that hidden." She continued as the four of them continued forward.

🔱

The three demigods and Grover descended the stairs out the front of the Arch and made their way towards the building.

"It's 630 feet wide, 630 feet tall, both to within an inch. It's got no internal support. Each side is balanced perfectly against the other. The arch is held up by symmetry. It's help up by math." Annabeth explained as they walked into the building. "And it's earthquake proof, so Poseidon can't ruin it."

"Nice." Percy commented slightly sarcastic.

"Excuse me." Annabeth said walking past a group of tourists. "This is how you show Athena your love. A monument to the power of perfection."

"It's a monument to some other stuff, too." Grover said looking over the artifacts and animal skeletons set out of a table.

"You're talking about what some humans want this place to be about. I'm talking about what it actually is." Annabeth explained.

"Whatever." Grover looked away, "We're safe here, right?"

"No monsters can enter. Not even Echidna. We're safe." Annabeth confirmed.

Grover came to a stop, turning to face his three friends. "Great. Well, since our train exploded, I'm gonna see if there's another one, we can get tickets on. We can't stay here forever. Just because we're pray doesn't mean we need to be helpless." Grover said looking over at a painting of some men shooting an animal before stalking off into the crowd.

"He doesn't like it when people mess with animals." Percy sighed, breaking the silence between the three demigods.

"Yeah, I know." Annabeth responded. Amaya furrowed her eyebrows as she looked around the place. "I shouldn't have s-snapped at him, I just... I know." The daughter of Athena said looking at Percy.

"So, this is your mom's place?" Percy asked moving to stand next to Amaya. "Wonder if she's around. Be right down! Just going to the potty!" Percy imitated causing Amaya to laugh and Annabeth to roll her eyes at him.

"Nice." Annabeth commented.

"I have a gift." Percy replied smiling. "I guess you were right by the way. We needed a safe place and your mom had one waiting. Pretty lucky we had to be in the right city." Percy admitted.

"Luck or fate?" Amaya spoke up. Percy turned to look at her, nodding his head.

"I know you think it's all in my head." Annabeth said, causing both Percy and Amaya to turn to her. "That... that I tell myself that my mother cares because it's easier that way."