Chapter 28 - Scarlett

Scarlett P.O.V

But with you.

Maddox's voice echoes in my head over and over again. Three words I'd never thought I'd hear from him, not in this lifetime nor three lifetimes over. And even now, my treacherous heart was still hammering away at the memory of his confession. It didn't care one bit about him not being single, but I did. It'd been the sole reason I'd contemplated rejecting him.

What had he been thinking?

He must have gotten caught up in the moment or been drunk. If not both. Those are the only reasons I could think of to explain his actions. Because it just didn't make sense.

Mind you, his girlfriend had been in the same freakin' room, sitting less than ten feet away and probably watching our every move!

Okay, yes. After our little conversation in the car, it seemed their relationship was nearing its impending doom, but until it did, she was still technically his girlfriend. And there was no way in hell I would be his other woman. Although, I'd come painfully close to doing just that. Only Maddox. Only he could tempt me into doing something so...reckless. The sly devil.

What was I going to do?

Where did we even go from here?

I hadn't even thought there might be a chance he would reciprocate my feelings. He'd given no such indication. Sure, his behavior concerning Luciano had been borderline overprotective and a tad bit overbearing, but I'd written it off as his need to look out for me. Nothing more. But now I can't help but wonder if it could've been his way of expressing his feelings.

And if so...

No, no, no. Before I could think that far ahead, there was still one matter left to deal with. His girlfriend. After she'd interrupted our...dance, they'd gone off to talk. And as much as I wanted to follow and eavesdrop on their conversation, they needed the time alone.

My presence would only further complicate things. Francesca seemed mature and level-headed, but that might ultimately push her to the brink. Maddox and I should count ourselves lucky our teeth were still intact cause heaven knows my younger and immature self wouldn't have been as calm as she if I were in her shoes.

I straighten up from leaning against the elevator wall as a melodic ding announces its arrival on the fifth floor. The doors slide open, and a young couple gets off, leaving me alone with one other guy. While tucking a loose tendril behind my ear, I glance his way, but the bill of his cap hides his face. As the doors close, he steps up beside me. Before I can say anything, he lifts his head, and familiar brown eyes meet mine.

"Luciano? What are you doing he-"

"Shut up." He growls, jamming something hard into my side.

I wince, and my eyes grow wide when I see the butt of the gun left uncovered by his jacket.

Shit!

He couldn't have found out the cops were onto him already, right?

"L-l-luciano, why a-"

"I said shut up!" He snaps, jabbing once more. "Now, you and I will walk out the front entrance and get straight into my car. And if you scream or try to alert anyone, they're dead. Got it?"

I quickly nod as he pushes the button for the first floor.