Chapter 1

"Karlach. I expect you to be on your best behavior."

Karlach's eyes opened, and once she made eye contact, she squinted, "Best behavior? You made me into a weapon and are now trading me into a marriage. What exactly would my best behavior be?" Karlach took a deep breath after she finished.

"All I ask is you be respectful and nice while I am there- I don't care what you do after."

Karlach and Zariel held a gaze, a long and uncomfortable gaze. Karlach was in no place to argue or fight back, her only option was to agree. Because if she thought Zariel was bad- the king and queen of the hells were much worse.

"Yes, ma'am." Karlach smiled, it wasn't genuine, but that wasn't the point.

"Ah! Good girl." Zariel smiled and snapped her fingers. As if rehearsed, the door to the carriage opened, immediately filling the air with what would be unbearable heat for most. Zariel exited first, Karlach followed hesitantly, exiting second. Karlach's first instincts were to size up everyone in her proximity. Lots of horned fiends and cambions- all who presented male- gross. There were a couple woman presenting individuals off to the side, holding boxes of what Karlach could only assume were gifts. Karlach's gaze soon scanned the landscape- checking for any locations where an ambush could be waiting- but there weren't any. There was, however, a ridiculously huge castle. Lots of gargoyles, windows, and it had a red and black color scheme. Because of course it did.

"Not here to greet us? How intriguing." Zariel whispered. Karlach looked at Zariel for a moment, before following her up the stairs to the castle.

There was an unfamiliar feeling in Karlach's stomach. A feeling she hadn't felt in a long time- dread. That feeling only amplified when the huge castle doors opened. Inside it was bustling with demons, devils, and fiends. There was music, classical from what Karlach could remember of melodies. It was new for her, which only made her feel sick.

No one acknowledged their presence when they entered. Not until Zariel cleared her throat, to which everyone, and I mean everyone, looked their way. Karlach shrunk under the gazes of everyone.

"Your majesties! I am disappointed- no greeting for your suitor?" Zariel asked, tilting her head, and raising her eyebrows. There was a long moment of silence.

"My apologies, dear. We were distracted with arrangements! Come, come and let me see you." It was the queen. The queen had a black veil draped over her face, making it impossible for Karlach to distinguish features. From this far away Karlach was surprised she could understand the queen so clearly, until she realized that she was speaking directly into her head. As Zariel and Karlach crossed the main hall everyone began to lose interest, delving back into their conversations. "My my, what a specimen." The queen's words echoed through Karlach's head.

"I can't hear you, love. You have to actually speak." The king smiled, but there was something hidden by that smile- Karlach could feel it.

"My apologies, my king." The queen's voice in reality was small- quiet and timid- if Karlach were having a conversation with someone else the queen wouldn't have been able to get her attention. "What is your name dear?" She asked tilting her own chin up slightly.

"I... am Karlach... your majesties." Karlach gave a slight bow, but not enough to show weakness.

"Karlach. You are very beautiful." The king purred. "It's too bad you're going to marry my daughter, huh?" The king laughed, and Karlach chuckled uncomfortably.

"Thank you, your majesty." Karlach cleared her throat and looked at her feet.

"Where is your little one, (y/n) was it?" Zariel asked, raising one eyebrow, and tilting her head. The king cleared his throat and sat up straighter- as if that was even possible.