Chapter 17 Changing Direction

Leona's pov
I find my brother outside the how, but he's talking with Dr. Cornelius so I leave them be.
I mourn over Nikabrik's death. Even though he tried to get the witch back, he still was my friend.
He could still have had a chance to change, couldn't he?
I sit behind a tree in the woods, in deep reminiscing of the past few days.
"Finding a place to think," I hear Caspian say.
He sits down beside me and puts a strong arm around me. I lay my head on his shoulder.
"Yes, about everything that happened in the past few days." I nod.
"You know I must have gotten so caught up with that competition with Peter that I forgot about my little sister." He tells me.
"I'm sure your competition with the High King isn't the only reason, what about your further interest in his sister, Queen Susan," I tease.
Caspian laughs, "I never said anything that I like her."
"Oh, but the way you look at her shows it you do like her," I joke.
"Leona, there's no girl I like better than you, my sister," Caspian defends himself.
I look from behind the tree to see Susan and Ruth practicing archery with Trumpkin, a faun, and a minotaur."Why, don't you show off your archery skills!" I tease.
We get up and Caspian grabs a crossbow.
"Nope not a scratch," comments Trumpkin.
"Well, I'm sure we'll improve, we did well yesterday," Ruth answers.
I can tell practice isn't going too well.
"Yeah, Rome wasn't built in a day," replies Susan.
"How long did it take?" The Minotaur asks curiously.
"What is Rome?" Asks the faun.
I can't help but stifle a giggle. I watch as my brother gets his crossbow ready.
"It's just an expression," sighs Susan; my brother shoots his crossbow, which hits a bullseye at the target.
"Nice shot, which one of you was that!" Comments Susan.
"Not me," Ruth tells her honestly.
"Good afternoon, your majesty," Caspian answers briskly, walking forward."You could use a little help."
I grin and walk away. My plan has worked, but as I leave, I catch sight of a Telmarine soldier.

Verity pov
I met Edmund at the opening of the how sitting on a ledge ."I'm sorry, Ed." I say, sitting down next to him.
"What for?" He asks.
"Well, there's lots of things. I never thought you were intelligent like me, my own pride caused me to think I was superior to others. That almost led me to my death." I explain.
Edmund squeezed my hand, "You mean you thought I was stupid because I betrayed you all to the white witch for Turkish Delight?"
"I thought I had forgiven you, Ed, but I guess I haven't..." I explain."Until now."
"I haven't been able to forgive myself either," he tells me."I didn't deserve to live."
"But Aslan did it anyways; he also did it in our world too; he died there too," I reminisce of Calvary."Edmund, while we were still sinners Christ died for us."
 I begin to explain, then I feel tears fill my eyes. My discernment at our last adventure I was able to discern the truth about Narnia, but this adventure only until now, "Oh, Aslan,"
Edmund pats my arm, "What's wrong?"
I bury my head on my brother's shoulder and he hugs me gently.
"I have failed him; my pride blinded my faith, which was what he wanted from me, my faith." I sob."That was the reason I didn't see Aslan."
"We all make mistakes, Verity, I did too, even worse than you did," Edmund answers, "I wonder how I deserved the title of King Edmund the Just, but I think our titles aren't about what we are, but what Aslan wants to become. Queen Verity the Faithful is still not there yet."
I let go of my brother, "I suppose you're right."
"The Telmarine army is approaching," a faun tells us as he enters the room.
"Come on," I say to my brother, "We have to tell Peter."

3rd person
After Verity had gone, Peter sat at the Stone Table, facing the great lion.
Why hadn't he seen him, he was the High King. But he didn't feel at all like a king right now. No, a fool, he had misled one of his sisters with his pride. It had blinded him, and caused him to be arrogant, instead of the leader Aslan expected of him. Loyal, Unselfish, and even a servant at times. That's what Magnificient meant.
He heard someone walk over towards him. Lucy. She sat down beside him.
"You're lucky you know," he says.
"What do you mean?" She asks curiously.
"You've seen him," he looks back at the lion."I wish I had some sort of proof."
"I think it's we that should prove ourselves to him," his youngest sister answers, patting his arm.
"Pete," he turns around to find Verity and Edmund."You'd better come quickly."
"The Telmarines are here," Verity explains, as the four of them make their way up to the lookout of the how.

Verity's pov
When we reach the lookout, Caspian, Leona, Trumpkin, and Susan and Ruth are already there. I take Lucy's hand in mine. I watch as the Telmarine army, with all their catapults and horses make their way towards us. We couldn't possibly beat them. Miraz and two other men stop at the front. I clench my fists; who did they think they were to try to take Narnia away from us again?
"We need to think of a good battle plan, Verity," Peter tells me.
I shake my head, "I don't know, Pete." I look over at Lucy.
"Or perhaps our only hope is Aslan now," Peter sighs.
I nod in agreement.
Peter calls a meeting again. And every one comes with listening ears.
"It seems we don't have much hope," he begins, he looks over at Lucy, "But there still is some."
I nod, "Aslan could be nearby, but that means we'd have to send someone to look for him."
My eyes fall on Lucy, "You've seen him, Lu."
Peter nods in agreement, "Would you be willing to go."
Lucy nods her head.
"Cakes and kettledrums!" Protests Trumpkin, "That's your next big plan. Sending a little girl out in the darkest parts of the forest. Alone!"
"It's our only chance," Peter answers, I know he hates letting Lucy go alone, like the rest of us siblings do.
"And she won't be alone," Susan adds, putting her hands on Lucy's shoulders.
"Now that problem is solved," I say.
"Haven't enough of us died already?" Asks a depressed Trumpkin.
"Let's not talk about dying," Ruth shudders.
"Like Nikabrik," sighs Leona.
"Nikabrik was my friend, too, but he lost hope," begins Trufflehuunter, "Queen Lucy hasn't and neither have I."
"For Aslan," Reepicheep says.
"For Aslan," Bugly Bear follows.
"I'm going with you," Trumpkin says to Lucy.
"No, you need to stay here," Lucy lays a hand on his shoulder.
"We need to hold them back till Lucy and Susan get back," Peter explains.
"The problem is how?" I ask. I am out of ideas.
"If I may," begins Caspian," Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer, but as king he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that might buy us some time."
"Go on," Peter answers.
"Challenging Miraz with a single combat, he will have no choice but to accept it," Caspian tells us.
"Because if he doesn't he'll look like a fool among his people," I grin.
Peter nods in agreement, "And he'll underestimate us."
"Me," I conclude, I stand up, "I'll challenge him."
"Verity, that's a dumb idea," Ruth tells me.
I don't know what I was doing, except to keep my older brother from getting hurt.
"No," Peter shakes his head, "What are you thinking, Verity, you're only fourteen and... I'll
go. As the High King it's my responsibility."
"But I can do it, Pete, Miraz will probably be laughing when he gets the challenge that he won't even practice," I insist.
"He's a murderer," states Edmund," And a dangerous fighter, you're only a girl, who's skilled with the sword."
"Please, Verity," Peter places his hands on my shoulders, "Let me do it."
"But, Peter," I protest; I feel tears sting my eyes, and he pulls me in a hug.
"Don't tell me, you want to do this just because you don't want to feel the pain of losing me, little sister," he says.
"Maybe," I reply.
Lucy and Ruth run over to us, and Peter, too, pulls them into a hug.
"It's alright, my little sisters," he whispers, as they cry."Aslan won't let it happen," he encourages her.
I hope my brother's right, I hide my tears in his shoulder. I wish he wouldn't do it.