SIX

THE SUN WAS HIGH IN THE SKY AND SCORCHING down on the camp, Josie had decided that she would join the ladies down in the quarry who were doing laundry. Once she got down there, she saw everyone's smug faces, so she tried turning around and walking away.

      "No, stay!" Amy smiled, grabbing onto Josie's hand before she strayed too far away.

      "Yeah, it's not too bad," Carol said as Josie took a seat next to Andrea. "Although I do miss my maytag."

      "I miss my Benz," Andrea added. "My satnav."

      "I miss my coffee maker with that dual-drip filter and built-in grinder, honey," Jacqui said as she squeezed out a wet shirt.

      "I miss pizza," Josie added.

      "My computer and texting," Amy said wistfully.

      Andrea smiled as she looked at the ladies. "I miss my vibrator."

      "Ooooooh," Jacqui smirked.

      Carol looked behind her cautiously, checking for her husband, who was watching from afar. "Me too."

      The group burst out laughing and their laughter attracted Ed, who approached with a cigarette in his hand. "What's so funny?"

      "Just swapping war stories, Ed," Andrea replied.

      Silence fell over the group and Josie turned to look at him as she finished ringing a wet shirt out. "Problem, Ed?"

      "None that concerns you," Ed replied. "And you ought to focus on your work. This ain't no comedy club."

      Josie raised a brow. "Comedy club?"

      "I'm just saying, with all the laughing, you're not working hard enough," Ed explained. "Those clothes won't clean themselves."

      "Ed, tell you what," Josie said as she got to her feet. "You don't like how your laundry is done? You are welcome to pitch in and do it yourself. Here," she threw the shirt at him.

      Ed threw it straight back, hitting her in the face. "Ain't my job, missy."

      "What is your job, Ed?" Josie asked. "Sitting on your ass smoking cigarettes?"

      "Well, it sure ain't listening to some uppity smart-mouthed bitch, tell you what," Ed replied as Josie scoffed, then he turned to Carol. "Come on, let's go."

      "I don't think she needs to go anywhere with you, Ed," Andrea said, getting to her feet.

      "And I say it's none of your business," Ed replied. "Come on, now. You heard me."

      Andrea and Josie stood in between Ed and Carol, both trying to stop her from going with him.

      "You don't have too," Josie said to Carol as she placed her hand on her shoulder.

      "It doesn't matter," Carol shrugged her hand off.

      "Hey, don't think I won't knock you on your ass just cause you're some college-educated cooze, all right?" Ed said to Josie before he turned back to Carol. "Now, you come on or you're gonging to regret it later."

      "So she can show up with fresh bruises later, Ed?" Jacqui asked. "Yeah, we've seen them."

      "And we also think you're a piece of shit and a lazy asshole, who's a no good excuse of a husband," Josie added, knowing it wasn't the best idea to keep poking the bear.

      "This ain't none of y'all's business," Ed replied, his voice filled with malice. "Stay out of it."

      Ed grabbed Carol's arm, but Josie stepped between them as she pushed his hand off of her. "She's not going anywhere with you."