chapter 7

ishita slowly found her eyes close and her body collapse in a matter of seconds into a state of unconsciousness. She fell on the ground on her back, as people seemingly were coming and going from and to the temple as per usual. Only for a middle aged women, with a white coat hanging around her arm and her hand having a tight grip around to carry a briefcase, stopped when her sight lay on her. She quickly rushed to her and sat near her unconscious body.

"ishita"  she called, patting her cheek with slightly more pressure, as she quickly checked her pulse. After she was able to sense it, she quickly carried ishita by the arm, which was supported on her shoulder, to take her away. 

                                                                  ***

Ishita was made to lie down on her bed in her room, as her mother, father and brother stood around her, and the middle aged woman who had carried ishita home, was examining her by a thorough check up. 

"nandini ji iski tabiyat zyada kharab hai kya?" questioned ishita's mother with concern. 

"iska bp low hogaya tha, isne bahaut der se kuch nahi khaya tha...issne stress bhi le rakha hoga kisi baat ka, and weakness mein, she collapsed." stated nandini. 

"par yeh toh aam si hi baat hai, college mein iski kabhi-kabhi back to back class hoti thi toh khaana skip hojata tha..itni tabiyat toh kabhi nahi kharab hui." stated her brother.

"woh isliye, kyunki yeh pregnant nahi thi." stated nandini, shocking everyone in the room. 

"i'm sorry but, she clearly is a month pregnant...and she has not been adequately taking care of herself...isliye iski tabiyat kharab hogayi...isse bahaut khayal rakhna padega apna, warna dikkat ho sakti hai bahaut." stated nandini, as everyone was left utterly baffled at the revelation, which she noted. 

"dekhiye, main yahan mahaule mein kisiko nahi bataungi iske baarein mein aur...worst case scenario mein, abortion is always an option...before the 5th month,it's completely safe..so don't worry." assured nandini, before she picked up her white coat and briefcase to leave quietly, as ishita's father got outside to walk her out. 

Suddenly, something registered in her mother's mind, who only stood in shock till now. She got hold of ishita's bag and started to open the zips quickly and check the bag, and ended up finding all the cash and jewellery ishita stole, and her brother who witnessed all of this, was completely horrified. 

"yeh bhaagne waali thi apne aashiq ke saath! woh aaya nahi hoga isliye pareshaan ho rahi hogi...pata nahi kiske saath moh kaala karake aa gayi hai...aur bhejo isse college...padhai ke alawa sab kiya hai isne pichle 3 saal mein!" yelled her brother in disgust, shaking his head furiously. 

Only for ishita's father to enter the room and shut the door behind him. 

"prerna..." he called out for his wife, as ishita's mother looked up, barely able to accept the reality in front of her. 

"iske paas roko aaj raat bhar, isse hosh aane tak, phir hum dono ko baat karni padegi isse." stated her father sternly, as prerna nodded. 

"arre kya baat karni hai! main toh kehta hoon, isse na mahaule se door waale aspatal le jaate hai aur bacha girwa dete hai kal hi...phir bas jaldi se joh bhi milta hai iski shaadi karke isse dafa karo, warna yeh ladki kahi moh dekhane layak nahi chodegi!" exclaimed her brother. 

"tumse kisine pucha? beti hamari hai, hum dekhenge kya karna hai, tum apna bas moh band rakho." sternly stated her father, as her enraged brother left the room. 

Her father left soon,  not even taking one glance of her. 

The clock was beginning to tick for the night, in the wait for the hour to arrive when she'll finally be awake. 

                                                                  ***

Ishita was starting to come back to consciousness after a while, her eyes slowly fluttering open as she tightly held her head and attempted to sit up, which made her mother, who lied beside her on the bed, wake up. 

"ishita...araam se..." her mother helped her sit up, placing two pillows behind her for support. 

Ishita slowly looked around and realised she  was in her own bedroom, which was not even remotely comforting to know. She looked to her mother in shock.

"maa, main..." attempted ishita to comprehend what happened.

"tu toh notes dene gayi thi dost ko, mere gehnon kya karni waali thi phir!" exclaimed ishita's mother, simmering anger palpable in her tone, as ishita gulped in horror.

"maa woh..." spoke up ishita in an attempt to defend herself, only for her to be stopped at her words with a tight slap across her face.

She remained in that position, unable to face her mother. 

"kiske saath moh kaala karayi apna!" yelled her mother, only for the door to open, and her father entered, who she despite trying to look at, could not make eye contact with.

"mujhe laga tha awaaz se uth gayi yeh..." stated her father.

"kya baat hai, aaya nahi tumhara yaar?" interrogated her father sternly.

"kyunki woh aayega bhi nahi...tum jaisi batchalan ladkiyon ko koi biwi nahi banata! tum toh bazaaro auraton se bhi giri hui ho..." rebuked her father, as ishita could only remain mum at the humiliation. 

"isliye ab tumhara ek hi ilaaj hai..." stated her mother bluntly, her eyes were dead serious, as she pushed ishita down from the bed, shocking her completely, as she fell on her stomach, which ended up hurting more, making her realize she was pregnant. 

Her father came and repeatedly slapped her extremely hard, making her fall over her face on the floor again and again, as she was crying badly, screaming from the pain, her stomach being hit repeatedly. 

Her mother grabbed her by the hair, and picked her up, only to make her fall on her face so hard, that even an injury appeared on her forehead. But oddly, that's not the part that seemed to hurt. As she looked down on to her legging, blood had flowed down from her crotch onto her legs.

She had just bled out, her barely alive baby. She was no longer crying in pain, only gasped in utter horror at what had happened. 

Her mother and father left her alone, lying helplessly on the floor, as she let out the loudest scream she had so far, and cried in agony. 

                                                                ***