Chapter 9

Falconpaw watched in horror.  Cranestar was crouched over her mate, with Featherheart and Boulderpelt next to her.  Cranestar lifted her head and leaped up to the Skyledge.  "Let all cats old enough to leap the Fallen Tree gather beneath the Skyledge for a Clan meeting!"

The Clan began to gather underneath the ledge where their leader sat, and Falconpaw sat down in between Sandyscar and Larkpaw.

"Today was devastating," Cranestar began.  "With the death of Owlhawk, we must acknowledge that we need strong warriors, in case FogClan and HillockClan attack again.  Falconpaw, Swallowpaw, and Larkpaw, step forward.  I, Cranestar, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprenitces.  They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn.  Mentors, have your apprentices learned the skills necessary to being warriors?"

"Yes, Cranestar." Maplegaze mewed.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names.  Falconpaw, Swallowpaw, and Larkpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Falconheart, Swallowpelt, and Larkwing."  Cranestar rested her muzzle on Falconheart's head, and he licked her shoulder in turn, and Cranestar then did the same with Swallowpelt and Larkwing.

"Falconheart!  Swallowpelt!  Larkwing!" the Clan cheered.

...

Stonepaw padded into camp after his mentor.  He was surprised when Thornstar padded over to the Lightning Tree, and climbed up to the Highbranch.  "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highbranch for a Clan meeting."

The cats filtered out of the dens and gathered around the Lightning Tree.  "Stonepaw, step forward.  I, Thornstar, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice.  he has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn.  Stonepaw, do you promise to protect this Clan and uphold the warrior code, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." Stonepaw replied.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name.  Stonepaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Stoneclaw.  StarClan honors your bravery and strength."  Thornstar leaped down from the Highbranch, and rested his muzzle to Stoneclaw's head, and Stoneclaw licked his shoulder in turn.

"Stoneclaw!  Stoneclaw!" the Clan chanted.