Chapter 18 You Might Have To Fight This Battle Alone

Leona's pov
After our meeting, I retire to my quarters. Verity was already there, reading that book, that she had in her bag. When she sees me, she closes the book.
"I'm sorry, about everything," she says abruptly.
"Sorry?" I ask, sitting down on my makeshift bed.
"I wasn't nice to you, I was wrong. Here," she hands me the book, "Read it; in our world, it's a treasure." She smiles at me.
"What happens to the man, Jesus?" I ask as I take it.
"He rises again and conquers death." Verity smiles at the thought, "Now, all who believe in him in our world can have life everlasting. He's like Aslan. He is referred to sometimes as the Lion of Judah."
I open the book and read it, I come to another part called Acts, which continues the story about Jesus' disciples and how they tell others about him.
"Amazing grace how sweet the sound." Sings Verity as she watches me read, "That saved a wretch like me."
"You have a beautiful voice," I comment.
"Thank you," she grins at me, "I've always loved music. At home, I love playing the violin and piano."
"What are those?" I ask confused.
"Oh, those are instruments," she explains.
"Well, I'm to go to sleep, now, here is your treasure," I hand it back and fall into a deep sleep.

 verity's pov

  I couldn't sleep that night, I fingered my cross necklace gently. I had two necklaces: my Star of David, which reminded me of my Jewish friend and the Jews and my cross, which represented my Christian faith. I was a follower of Jesus Christ, the Jewish Messiah, and I had failed him.

 I walked out to the stone stable, sitting down, taking off my necklace, tracing my fingers on it. I leaned forward looking at the picture of Aslan. The lion of Judah, I had forgotten his true identity, because I had forgotten about Jesus.

 "I'm sorry," I whipsered, "You said discernment doesn't work without faith, and my pride blinded my faith. I want to see you again."

 "What are you doing up?" I turned to face Peter, he sat down beside me.

 "I can't sleep," I answered; I looked back at the cross in my hands; it seemed to say apologize."I'm sorry."

 "You said that today already," he answered.

 "I'm sorry for the things I have done and said to you in the past year. Stealing your essay first, then lying to you all because of my stupid reputation," I replied, "I was wrong."

 Peter squeezed my hand, "I'm sorry too, I had been cruel to you. I never really apologized for that, did I?"

 I wrapped my arms around his neck, resting my head on his shoulder, "I forgive you."

 Peter held me in his embrace and we looked back at the picture of Aslan, "He'll come," I said confidently, "He always has."

 Peter nodded, "That is if he still cares about us."

 "He does, Pete," I replied, "He never gives up on us, even though we gave up on him, that's just how he is."

 It had been a while since we had talked together like this, a year. We had despised each other so much we couldn't stand being in the same room, but now we were that same brother and sister who listened to each other's problems and comforted one another. I tightened my arms around him and he around me.

Verity's pov
The next day I am with Peter and Caspian.
"So what do you want me to do?" I ask my brother, as we head for the Stone Table.
"We can't be sure if the Telmarines will keep their word," Peter tells me."Since I'll be focusing mostly on the duel the battle plans are up to you."
"But aren't you going to lead the battle?" I ask.
"I might," he nods, but the planning is up to you or Caspian and Edmund.
"This is not what I meant. This is my fight," Caspian says to my brother as we make our way to the Stone Table.
"I think you've already tried that," Peter answers abruptly.
"Peter," I scold him for being too arrogant.
"Look if there's ever going to be peace between you and the Telmarines," he explains to Caspian
"You'll have to be the one who brings it."
I know what Peter means we won't be staying in Narnia.
"How can I if you won't let me?" He asks indignantly.
Peter shakes, "Not like this."
"If I don't make it," he sighs heavily," Then Narnia's future is in your hands."
I move closer to Peter, "I wish you wouldn't talk like that, Pete?"
"And what about your future?" Caspian questions.
He looks at me, "I've always been thinking about a career in medicine, but I gave it up for something more important."
He turns around to face Trumpkin, who holds out his helmet. He takes it and looks at it. I know he's thinking of Beruna.
"Your Highness," Says bugly bear rather nervously.
"Yes," he puts his helmet down at the table where his other armour stands.
"I'm a bear I am," he begins.
"And a fine one I'm sure," Peter turns to get the rest of his armour.
"But beg your pardon, but tradition holds that you pick your Marshalls at the list," the bear continues.
"He's right," Caspian nods, "You need to choose your seconds."
"Please, Peter, I mean he's just as decent of a bear as Cliff was," I beg.
"Don't let him, he'll just fall asleep and suck his paws," Trumpkin protests sarcastically.
"Then you don't know bears," I reply.
Reepicheep, who had been unusually quiet, began to speak, "Sire, my life is forever at your command, but I thought that perhaps I might be sent for this challenge." He bows noblely.
Trumpkin gives a scornful laugh, but Peter quiets him and looks at the mouse, "As you know, my good Reepicheep, many humans are afraid of mice. And it really wouldn't be fair for Miraz to have anything in sight that could further dilute his courage."
This time it is my turn to hold back a laugh, which I do successfully.
"Of course, Your Majesty is the mirror of honour," Reepicheep agrees understandably.
"That's exactly what I was thinking," mutters Trumpkin.
"But mice are noble creatures," I say," And bears too."
Peter turns to Caspian, "Caspian, tell Glenstorm, I want him, Ed, Verity, and..." but the bear interrupts him.
"Please, your majesty," he pleads.
"Pete, just give him a chance," I ask, giving him my most pleading look, the puppy dog eyes that Lucy used to get him to change his mind.
"It is my right and my honour," he sighs, "but you must remember not to suck your paws."
Bugly Bear and I both grin at each other.
Peter fits on his shield.
"And he's doing it right now!" Groans Trumpkin.
"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Peter asks the bear.
"Are you sure that you are?" Caspian challenges him.
I go get a quill and paper for Peter to right his challenge to Miraz, then the others leave.
"Verity, you'll go with Ed to deliver this, but they must not know you're there. I want you to take a look at their catapults. Check for any weaknesses. You all might have to fight this battle alone."
"Peter, don't talk like that," I place a hand on his shoulder."And we won't have to." I looked at the picture of Aslan, "He will go before us."
"What I meant about me giving medicine up for someone else was for you." He looks at me.
"What do you mean, Pete, how would I stop you from going to medical school?" I sit down at the table.
"I'm only your sister."
"You see Mom and Dad said they could only send one of us to university. And as the oldest I was the one who would get that privilege." He explains."I knew you wanted to go more than anything. I don't want you to not have that privilege, so I told them to wait till you're old enough."
"But, Peter, your interests are more important than English and Literature; you could save lives. And besides, why do you think I got that summer job at Bruins." I tell him, "So I could save up for university. She pays well anyway. But thanks, Pete."
I hug him and he hugs me back, "You're always up with surprises." He says.
"Isn't that what sisters are for?" I laugh.
As I leave, Caspian meets me at the entrance,
"Verity could I speak to you for a bit."
"What and tell me how stupid I am," I muttered sarcastically, "You know that is considered treason."
"No, I just wanted to say I'm sorry," he replied.
I laughed, "You're sorry, well isn't that the first."
"What about you? I thought you let go of your pride, or are you going to hold onto it?" He asked.
"Well, I guess I'm sorry," I replied, "For all those things I said. When I'm mad I say things that I don't really mean. It runs in the family." I held out my hand, "Shake on it?"
Caspian seemed confused, but then he took my hand and shook it.
"There I guess we made up," I grinned.