(XII) 'It's not possible to make a lie out of nothing.'

A few minutes pass.

Yoongi is sitting in between Mrs Min and Ji-Yoon on the bed.

Ji-Yoon asks, 'Ichaya, what do we do?'
Yoongi answers, 'All three of us should say the same thing when the police take us for interrogation.'

No one responds.

Yoongi says, 'I'll tell you both what we are supposed to tell the police.'
Mrs Min says, 'We are in trouble, Yoongi.'
Yoongi says, 'I'll make sure to keep you both safe.'
Ji-Yoon asks, 'What should we tell the police?'

Yoongi answers, 'All three of us went to watch a movie called "RDX". I won't do laundry for a few days. When the police ask for proof, I'll show the movie ticket. Both of you should say that you discarded them before doing laundry.'
Mrs Min says, 'I'm blind, Yoongi. They won't buy it.'

Yoongi says, 'We went for a movie as a family. They'll buy it. I'll make them buy it.'
Ji-Yoon says, 'A man was here. He heard Sudhakaran's phone ring. What if he tells the police about it?'
Yoongi says, 'He'll tell the police. That's how they are gonna come to interrogate us.'

Mrs Min asks, 'What if they ask something else?'
Yoongi answers, 'They won't. They just need our alibis. If they ask something else, make sure not to stutter and answer with confidence.'
Ji-Yoon says, 'Okay.'

Yoongi says, 'Let's watch the movie tonight.'
Ji-Yoon asks, 'Why?'
Yoongi answers, 'They might doubt our alibi and ask us about the movie. We need to be clear about everything.'
Mrs Min says, 'We could get caught.'

Yoongi says, 'Even if we are to get caught, never utter a word about anything no matter how they ask you. I did it. I'll manage it.'
Ji-Yoon says, 'Ichaya, I can't let you go to prison.'
Yoongi says, 'Save yourself first. I'll handle my part. Do you hear me?'

Ji-Yoon presses her lips tight and stares at Yoongi.

Yoongi gulps nervously and says, 'I have something to tell you both.'

Mrs Min asks, 'What is it?'
Yoongi answers, 'I'm seeing someone.'
Mrs Min says, 'I know.'
Ji-Yoon says, 'We both know.'
Yoongi says, 'I'm dating Park Jimin.'
Ji-Yoon says, 'I know.'

Yoongi asks, 'How?'
Ji-Yoon answers, 'I'm your sister, Ichaya. I know about you.'
Mrs Min asks, 'Is she the sister of the boy Ji-Yoon likes?'
Yoongi answers, 'He's the one Ji-Yoon used to like.'
Mrs Min asks, 'What?'

Yoongi breathes deeply and says, 'I'm gay and I like men.'

Mrs Min asks, 'What are you saying?'
Yoongi answers, 'This is not the right time but I can't hide things anymore.'
Mrs Min asks, 'Do you fancy a man?'
Yoongi answers, 'Yes, Amma. I'm in love with a man.'

Mrs Min sits still without a word in response.

Yoongi says, 'I'm sorry, Ji-Yoon. I know that I stole your man. I'm such an arse.'
Ji-Yoon says, 'It's okay. It was just a crush. If he likes you back, you should definitely date him. All I want is for you both to be happy.'

Yoongi tears up as he holds Ji-Yoon closer by her shoulders.

Yoongi says, 'I'm sorry.' and kisses Ji-Yoon's head.

Ji-Yoon rests her head on Yoongi's right shoulder.

Mrs Min slowly reaches for Yoongi's hand and says, 'I knew that something was different about you but, it's still shocking.'

Yoongi says, 'I'm sorry, Amma.' and sniffles.

Mrs Min sheds tears as she says, 'I'll never get to see your children.'

Yoongi says, 'I'll adopt a child.'
Ji-Yoon asks, 'But only Hindus can adopt in our country. Otherwise, you'll have to get married to a woman.'
Yoongi says, 'There's an Act that allows a single man to adopt a child. I can't be a parent but a guardian.'

Ji-Yoon says, 'But you're not single.'
Yoongi says, 'I'm unmarried.'
Ji-Yoon asks, 'What if they find out?'
Yoongi asks, 'And who's gonna tell them?'
Mrs Min says, 'It's not the same as having a child of your own blood, Yoongi.'

Yoongi says, 'I'm gonna raise my child as my own blood no matter what, Amma.'
Ji-Yoon says, 'Talk to Jimin-Ichayan. He might have a different opinion.'
Yoongi says, 'And if he doesn't want a child, I won't be adopting any children.'

Mrs Min presses her lips tight and sits still.

Yoongi clears his throat and says, 'Let's watch the movie.'

Ji-Yoon asks, 'At this hour?'
Yoongi answers, 'It's on Netflix.'
Ji-Yoon says, 'Oh...'

Yoongi lets go of Ji-Yoon and stands up. He pats her head and flashes a smile.

Shortly, Yoongi and Ji-Yoon are watching the movie on television. Mrs Min is sitting with her children on the couch.

Ji-Yoon asks, 'Didn't you watch this already with Jimin-Ichayan?'
Yoongi answers, 'I did.'
Ji-Yoon says, 'You don't have to watch it with us again.'
Yoongi says, 'It's okay. I don't wanna make you both lie a lot to the police. It's not possible to make a lie out of nothing. We'll be caught.'

Ji-Yoon leans on Yoongi's left shoulder and watches the movie. Mrs Min gently rests her head on Yoongi's right shoulder.

Yoongi holds his sister and mother closer—he looks lost in thought.