𝟎𝟎𝟗. not a lot, just forever

CHAPTER NINENOT A LOT, JUST FOREVER

CHAPTER NINE
NOT A LOT, JUST FOREVER

  CHAPTER NINENOT A LOT, JUST FOREVER

[ THREE YEARS AGO ]

          Bird songs flood her ears. The transparent river flows before her, blinding sun reflecting off of it, tinting her cheeks a slight shade of rose. Alaska soaks up the hums of nature as she sits on the bark of a fallen tree. Beside her sits Ellie, silent, too preoccupied with trying to strum the right chords of her guitar.

  The music emitted from Ellie's guitar isn't exactly pleasing to the ears, but Alaska doesn't care. She knows that one day, soon, Ellie will be able to play just as good as Joel. Alaska thinks she could stay here forever, simply watching Ellie, letting the rest of the cruel world disappear. She doesn't care that Ellie isn't speaking, or that Ellie's eyes seem to be distracted by anything but her. Just being there, next to Ellie, around her, has always been enough for Alaska.

She thinks it always will be.

  "Damn it," Ellie mumbles under her breath when she strums the wrong chord. She takes in a breath, adjusting the guitar on her lap. "Hold on."

  Alaska giggles slightly beside her. "Hey, you're getting better," she says with softness in her voice.

She says it with her whole chest because she really believes it. Alaska has never been a good liar. Only good at keeping secrets. There's a difference between the two, but either way, guilt creeps its way into her skull. She pushes the thought away.

  Ellie clicks her tongue, "Man, I can't even get past the first part without messing up." She shrugs with a sigh.

  "Just try again," Alaska insists, grinning. "Practice makes perfect."

  Ellie looks to her right, facing the blonde. Alaska's smile seems to be contagious as it places itself right onto Ellie's face as well. It gives her a sense of hope; like things will be okay when they're together, no matter what. Ellie is afraid to accept that hope into her chest. She doesn't want to lose anyone else.