5

"I don't know, y/n," San told you, shaking his head in denial. "It just doesn't feel right. Why can't you use the arrows we got from Sheratan? I'm pretty sure your aim is good enough."

"I only have one shot at this, quite literally, San," you told him, referring to your old ebony arrow. You had three more from your visit to Sheratan. "I can't risk losing the other arrows too."

"Maybe you should." Yeosang butted in, and you rolled your eyes. "What if you miss and kill someone you're not meant to kill?"

"One less siren to worry about then," you muttered.

"What if you accidentally graze yourself?"

"If I was that clumsy, I would have died three years ago, Yeosang," you laughed a little. "Thanks for worrying about my wellbeing."

"I'm not worrying about your wellbeing," Yeosang began but when your smirk grew, he simply waved his hands in defeat and sank down in his corner.

You turned to San once again. "You're a sorcerer, and I trust you, San. What feels so weird about that arrow?"

"The magic has a dark element about it, and I can't tell if that's all there is or if it's the surface of something deeper," San sighed deeply. "What I mean is that it could have been tampered with or it isn't what the sorcerer told you it is. There's no way I can test it either. Maybe just avoid the arrow if you can?"

"Alright," you nodded. "Maybe I should have listened to you and got the arrow cross-examined when you insisted back in Sheratan."

"That's okay, just use the simple arrows," San felt relieved and you smiled at him, watching him join Jongho.

San had first brought this up when you showed the arrows to the sorcerers in the greenhouse in Sheratan. They had confirmed that the arrow was of the ebony wood that grew right there, and had inquired about the spell on it. You had told them about the sorcerer who went by the name of the Wanderer. The sorcerers looked at each other after hearing that and upon asking, they told you that your sorcerer didn't have a good reputation around here. You figured if a sorcerer was indirectly targeting sirens through you, he definitely wouldn't have the best reputation. But after leaving, San had asked about the details of how you met him.

"I met him three years ago while going through a tough spot sailing on my own," you told him. "I almost drowned but he spotted me and helped me. When he learned who I was, he was very intrigued and offered me the arrow."

"Just like that?" San found it strange.

"He had a grudge with some sirens too, but he thought he could never get revenge so he decided to forget or something. And I was not going to miss the opportunity when there was a free ebony arrow right in front of me."

You could tell why San felt conflicted so you picked that arrow out of the quiver and gave it to San. "Keep it safe."

San smiled and went inside the cockpit and you felt the burning gaze of a certain someone. "What?"

"I can't believe you're giving up the arrow now that we're so close to Mesarthim," Yeosang said and you turned to him.

"Ebony arrows are fatal to sirens, and I have three of them. Three are enough," you said. "Besides, if I need to kill you, I'll still have that arrow, damned be the consequences."

Yeosang scoffed in amusement. "You think those sirens will let you be after you kill them? You think there will only be a few of them?"

You narrowed your eyes at him. "You said you lived there, but you've been suspiciously quiet since letting out that information. And now you're warning me? When we're right around the corner?" You pointed towards the ominous dark cloud in the sky- the telltale signs of a storm that seemed to be a constant surrounding Mesarthim Island. Jongho, who had been sitting on the edge with his legs dangling, raised a brow at you both.