7

You didn't know how long you kept lying on your back, watching the starry night sky and blocking the whispers of your companions on the boat. You were too busy replaying everything that had happened in the past few days in your head and you kept coming to the same conclusion.

The arrow. That darned arrow.

Did the Wanderer really take advantage of your vulnerability? Did he see what he needed in you- someone who would hunt a siren for him- and give you that arrow? Did he know about the spell as a sorcerer or did he give it to you because he was too scared to use it himself and find out what it would do to him? And if he knew that using that arrow would somehow turn the user into a siren...

Why would he want you, a siren-hunter, to turn into a siren? Did he have a personal grudge against you? He couldn't, he had never met you before, had he? Or did he want you to turn into a siren just because he was someone sadistic? But it still made no sense- if he hated sirens like he had claimed he did, he wouldn't have wanted you to turn into a siren, would he?

You finally got up, looking around- everything was starting to feel different, more heightened. You wondered for a moment if this was what was normal to Yeosang, but you were a human. You couldn't be a siren. You hunted sirens for a living, for crying out loud. You walked around the boat until you spotted the three huddled in front of the fire, heating themselves up-

And you realised you did not feel cold either. You scoffed internally- you finally got all your questions about sirens answered. The questions you had been asking Yeosang all this time.

Yeosang was the first one to hear you walking towards them and he actually looked worried as he scanned you. "How are you feeling?"

"Angry," you settled down in front of them. "And hungry."

"Hangry..." Jongho acknowledged. "Any unusual craving for humans yet?"

"Jongho," San warned though he was trying to stifle his smile.

"You'll be the first to know if I do, human," you muttered and Yeosang looked awfully proud to hear that.

"Really hope you don't turn into a siren though," Jongho casually cleaned his dagger, looking at his reflection on the blade. "Otherwise I'd have to kill two of you."

"I thought we were friends," Yeosang put his hand on his heart, disappointed.

"I'm not turning into a siren," you glared at Jongho and Yeosang and they immediately shut up- you were pretty sure you had never been this angry before in front of them. You turned to San. "Where are we going?"

"I've steered the boat away from Mesarthim, so we'll be bordering Sheratan in a few hours."

"Good, keep it in that direction," you nodded. "I need answers from a certain sorcerer."

"I don't think it's safe to go alone, especially in this condition," San scooted closer to get a good look at you. "You were burning up while you were unconscious and I had to use a spell to bring your fever down. There's no guarantee when it will come back."

"Thank you, but I will take care of myself," you smiled reassuringly at him. "You've been a lot of help, San, but I think this is where we should part ways."

"Nope," San shook his head. "If you're dealing with a sorcerer, I need to be there. There's no telling what he will do to you- he probably planned this. This arrow- it has to be a curse."

Your heart sank. "A curse?"

"No spell can change the nature of who you are- whether human, sorcerer or siren," he explained. "It would have taken a curse to do that- and if that is the case... you don't have to be a sorcerer to put a curse on something or someone, right?"