Glossary

☨THE DEVIL COMES TO ANGELOVSKGlossary

THE DEVIL COMES TO ANGELOVSK
Glossary

THE DEVIL COMES TO ANGELOVSK PLAYLIST
(Spotify link accessible via in-line comment)
—————————————————————

00: MAP OF ANGELOVSK

01: The Cat in the Cupboard

Afghanka: Padded coat and iconic piece of the 1980s Soviet Army uniform.
Afgantsy: Soviet veterans of the Soviet-Afghan war.
Dead Souls: A satirical novel published in 1842 by Ukrainian-Russian writer Mykola Gogol.
Militsiya: Soviet police force.
Ocean paste: Soviet invented food product made from krill.
Panjshir: Valley in northeastern Afghanistan that saw heavy fighting between the Soviet Army and Afghan mujahideen.
Prospekt: Straight broad street in post-Soviet states.
Shutka: Joke in Russian.
Vint: Screw in Russian. A slang term for heroin.
White émigrés: Russians who emigrated in the wake of the 1917 Revolution and opposed the Soviets.

02: Satan Stops By

Istalif pottery: Blue ceramic pottery from the village of Istalif in Afghanistan.
Kabul: Capital of Afghanistan.
Makarov pistol: Standard issue pistol for officers in the Soviet Army.
Moya kisa: My cat/kitty in Russian.
Notes from the Underground: A nihilist novella published in 1864 by Russian writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

03: Stacks and Screw

Anasha: Hashish in Russian.
Babushka: Grandmother in Russian.
Bely: White in Russian. A slang term for heroin.
Chernayavoda: Black water in Russian.
Fish fur: Russian expression used to describe poor quality of warm clothes.
Kalk: Calculator in Russian.
Knyaz: Prince in Russian.
Koshchey: An immortal antagonist in Russian folklore.
Pakhan: Boss in Russian. Criminal slang.
Patsan: Boy in Russian. Criminal slang.
Shurik: Nickname for Aleksandr.

04: A Small Price to Pay

Chyort: Anthropomorphic evil spirit in Slavic folklore.
Chyerti: Plural of Chyort.
Kino: Soviet-Russian new-wave rock band.
Rodya: Nickname for Rodion.
Vory: Thieves in Russian.
Znachki: Pins/badges in Russian.

05: No Rest for the Wrathful

Alymova: Famous Russian harpist.
AWOL: Military acronym for absent without leave.
Chainiki: Tea kettles in Russian.
Chushpash: Person who is not in a youth street gang. Criminal slang.
Dedushka: Grandfather in Russian.
Kazan: A city in southern Russia.
Korchinska: Famous Russian harpist.
Kozyol: Goat in Russian.
Oktyabrskaya: October (adjective) in Russian.
Perestroika: Restructuring in Russian. Used to refer to the restructuring of the economic system of the Soviet Union led by Mikhail Gorbachev.
Pieter: Local name for St. Petersburg/Leningrad. A city in Russia.
Rodka: Disrespectful diminutive for Rodion.
Shlyukha: Slut in Russian.
Zhe: Ж, eighth letter of Russian alphabet.

06: Blood on the Asphalt

Balalaika: Russian stringed instrument with a triangular wooden body and three strings.
Bandura: Ukrainian plucked string folk instrument.
Palace of Culture: Community centers in the Soviet Union.
Shakhty: A city in Russia strongly associated with coal mining.

07: Crossroads

Grushevkiy: Adjective formed from the Grushevka River, which runs through Shakhty.
Production Association: Specialized production and economic complex, which includes factories, research, and design that have centralized production. Basically the equivalent of a corporation in the Soviet Union.

08: At the Seam

No entries.

09: The Brothers Popov

Milaya: Darling/sweetie in Russian.
Peter the Great: Famous Russian tsar who ruled from 1721-1825 and founder of St. Petersburg.
Pugacheva: Alla Pugacheva, a famous Soviet-Russian singer.
Radio Liberty: Radio broadcasting organization founded by the U.S. government to provide information and political commentary to the Eastern Bloc. Blocked by the Soviets until 1988.
Vladimir Lenin: Russian revolutionary who was the first and founding head of the Soviet government from 1917-1922.

10: The Hall of Intermediate Souls

Article 106 of the RSFSR Criminal Code: Manslaughter.
Article 218 of the RSFSR Criminal Code: Illegal carrying, custody, manufacture, or sale of weapons.
Freedom deprivation: Soviet colloquialism for prison, general deprivation of rights.
Internal Passport: Soviet document used for identification and monitoring of residences.
Marya Morevna: Warrior princess of Russian folklore who keeps Koshchey the Deathless chained in her cellar until he tricks Ivan Tsarevich into releasing him.
Troika of judges: Soviet judges presided over criminal cases in trios (troikas) consisting of two junior judges and a senior one.

11: Saint Svetlana of Samaria

Andriyivskiy Bridge: Reference to the famous street, Andriyivskiy Descent, in Kyiv. See the city map.
Saint Cecilia's: Church in Angelovsk built on its northwestern shore. Featured heavily in "Novyye Saints." See the city map.
Svetlana of Samaria: Russian translation of Saint Phontia, the Samaritan woman with whom Jesus spoke with at Jacob's Well. She was persecuted by Emperor Nero, achieving the crown of martyrdom and the designation "equal-to-the-Apostles" for her commitment to preaching the Gospels and spreading Christianity.
The Idiot: A philosophical novel published in 1868 by Russian writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

12: Sanctuary

Bochka roof: Type of keel-shaped roof in traditional Russian church architecture.
Boyars: Members of the ruling nobility in medieval Russia.
Church Slavonic: Liturgical language used by the Eastern Orthodox Language in Eastern Europe
En: Н, the fifteenth letter of the Russian alphabet.
Er: Р, the eighteenth letter of the Russian alphabet.
Ge: Г, the fourth letter of the Russian alphabet.
Great Patriotic War: World War II as it is known in some post-Soviet states.
Puuko: Small Finnish general purpose belt knife.
Sha: Ш, twenty-sixth letter of the Russian alphabet.
Stetsko's Partisans: Fictional partisan unit that operated in the Angelovsk region. The surname Stetsko indicates Ukrainian origin.

13: Sanctuary

Chelyabinsk: A city in Siberia.
Herodion of Patras: A saint numbered among the Seventy Apostles. He was the Bishop of Patras and was beheaded in Rome around 65 A.D.
Pirozhki: Stuffed Russian buns.
The Seventy Apostles: Early emissaries of Jesus mentioned in the Gospel of Luke.