Unusual Umbrella Ops

You and Carlos had proceeded for a little while, collecting stuff and funneling into the structure while maintaining careful vigilance from the corners and windows, as nothing seemed safe.

Eventually, you made it to a briefing room. After searching that area, Carlos keyed the radio. "T, you copy?" The sound of Carlos breaking the silence made your heart jump slightly. Carlos continued without waiting for a response. "There's something real nasty in here. I don't know what it is."

  "Something nasty?" Tyrell called back. "Alright. I'll take a look with the camera. Watch your six."

You rolled your eyes and exhaled like you'd been holding your breath. "And here I thought I was supposed not to watch our backs."

Carlos scoffs in amusement but stays otherwise silent as you survey the rest of the place for anything that could help before going forward. There was a whole litany of gear and notes from the officers that you kept mental notes of.

It's a slow but methodic process as you continue to punch forward towards the objective. Carlos snorts at one point and nods at a zombie on the floor. "Kinda fucked up shooting cops."

  "I've done worse," you step over the body, not yet willing to dive into your past with Carlos. As your fingers find your radio, you bring your attention to a spiraling staircase ahead. "Tyrell, are we close to where we're supposed to be?"

  "The STARS office is up ahead," he tells you.

  "Copy that. Proceeding forward, " you slowly exhale, feeling the pressure of the situation on your shoulders the longer you remain in darkness. There was ample space for your situation to turn sideways, and you weren't enjoying the "playing dead while also being undead" thing some of this meat-eating freaks were doing in here.

There are a lot of barricades that you have to find a way around, a tedious obstacle course that wears down your patience. Soon, your scouting leads you to the conclusion is the only way to the STARS office would be to blow a hole through the Locker room's wall. You rub your forehead and shake your head. You're not the first people to think about this, there's a brick of C4 against it, but without a means to use it, it's nothing but a dangerous paperweight. "I can't believe this shit."

  "We'll manage. They're bound to have some kind of C4-remote here in here right? The police probably pooled in a lot of resources here with things getting as bad as they were," Carlos adds, tapping the cracked wall of the locker room. "It won't take much, it looks like."

  "Yeah, I guess," you shrug. "I wish there was full electricity in here. Stressful walking around here in the dark when there's zombies lurking the corners wanting to rip into you." 

That's not all that was in the dark corners, though... The "dangerous thing" you warned Tyrell about is soon discovered on your way to the armory, where you and Carlos both concluded would be the best first place to search.

You aren't sure if you can call it humanoid, but at the same time, you aren't sure if you're willing to call it its own creature, either. "Shit," you try reversing into the curve of the hallway, but it doesn't react, so you pause briefly to study the odd, eyeless monster before you.

It's all fleshy and red, its brain is exposed, and its mouth hangs grossly low with its long and seemingly edged tongue waving aimlessly around. Its hands are pointed with claws, sharp, and discolored with gore. You saw it display its strength earlier, but now that you see its lean and muscular body, you have no doubt it could do much more than you previously thought. You narrow your gaze and loll your tongue over your lips. You don't see any eyes, so it probably can't see you. It also has no ears, so perhaps it can't hear you either?