02 - Big Time Showdown

It didn't take a genius to see what Karin Kanzuki wanted.

Kendall wasn't sure how to react to this, not expecting a fight in this context. "You...you want to fight us?"

"Why, of course, Mr. Knight! How else would you expect me to greet a fellow martial artist?"

"Martial artist?!" The visiting group bar Katie parroted in shock. The little girl wished more than ever at that point to sink straight into the ground.

The eyes of suspicion (and not just her mother's this time) seemingly piercing her very soul certainly didn't help matters.

"Why, certainly!" Karin exclaimed, clearly not picking up on the tension in the area. "Katie here told me all about your exploits. Between being members of a band, hockey players, and roving fighters, you guys must be quite the Renaissance men."

James opened his mouth to brag, only for the band's manager and his assistant to shoot him a "shut up" glare. In fact, Kelly directly intervened.

"Would you please excuse us for a moment?"

Karin granted this, and the group was pulled into a huddle off to the side.

Gustavo's words were brief and filled with frustration. He hated the unexpected, and no amount of coexisting with the four time bombs (or, more technically, three and whatever Logan was) was going to make him acclimate to it.

"You. Dogs. Fight. Now."

"But isn't dogfighting illegal-"

"Shut it, Helmet Dog!"

"We still have a problem here," Kendall interjected, glancing towards his mother. "We're not allowed to hit girls. Mom said so."

"We're not martial artists, either," Logan threw in. "If that's what Ms. Kanzuki really is, then we're gonna get crushed!"

The bald man wished he could scream. "Well then, you're going to fake it until you make it, Dogs. As for her..."

Everyone knew where this was going, so the question was asked in unison.

"You're gonna beg, aren't you?"

"With every shred of my cold, black heart."

---

And beg he did. Surprisingly enough, Katie stepped up and backed up the old man (mainly because she had no choice given her predicament). Eventually though...

"Are you sure no one's going to get seriously hurt?"

Karin chuckled at the mere thought of Jennifer's question. "Please. I have what are among the world's finest medical staff on standby in case something happens.

"What about you?"

"With all due respect, Mrs. Knight, My entire family lives and breathes fighting, among many other things. I've been in battles that those boys couldn't even dream of. I'll be just fine..."

She ended her speech with a haughty laugh that made the mother raise an eyebrow. She looked back at the boys wearing befuddled looks as well as everyone else around.

"Whatever you say," the Knight matriarch finally let out with a sigh of defeat.

Somewhat reluctantly, she gave the go-ahead.

As the boys regrouped in front of her, Karin's smirk never wavered. "Now that that's settled, let's see...who should go first..."

Casually pointing a finger, she bounced between the boys until landing on someone.