Chapter 21 Preparing

Verity's pov

The next day, as Peter prepared for the duel, I was instructing our troops on what was to be expected of them. Ruth joined me after her practice with the archers.
When I was finished I went to see what Lucy and Susan were doing.
They were getting ready for their adventure in the woods, or more importantly their quest for Aslan.
"You ready?" I ask.
"Yes," Susan replies.
"Caspian has offered his horse for you to ride on," I continue briskly, eyeing Susan warily.
"Destrya's her name," Ruth tells them.
"Why are you two looking at me like that?" Susan asks, annoyed.
"Oh, just because I think you're glad that Caspian offered his horse because you like him." Ruth teases, crossing her arms.
"Oh really," Susan does the same."You don't know anything."
"Uh-uh," I say, I turn to my little sister, "What do you think, Lu?"
"I agree," Lucy grins.
"What are you girls chattering about?" It was Peter, he was dressed in his armour, ready for the battle. Edmund follows behind him.
"Oh, nothing," Susan replies.
"It's time to leave," Peter announces.
I hang my head, suppose I never saw them again.
Lucy runs into Peter's arms, sobbing, he folds his strong arms around her.
"Please, be careful," Lucy tells him, as she steps back.
"I will," Peter replies, he places a gentle hand on her shoulder, "You too."
He gathers all of us into a hug, and when we release, with a few quick goodbyes, Susan and Lucy leave.

Leona's pov
"Destrya has always served me in my sister well," Caspian tells the two Pevensie girls."You will be in good hands."
"Or hooves." Lucy jokes.
I stroke our horse's hair softly."Except for the time, you got caught in her stirrup, but that was the tree's fault."
"Sorry," Susan asks confused.
"Oh, that's just a story we'll save for later," I say.
"Good luck," Caspian makes eye contact with Susan, who looks away.
Lucy and I exchange grins.
"Thanks," mumbles Susan.
I hand Caspian the horn, "Maybe it's time you had this back."
"Why don't you hold onto it? You might need to call me again," Susan smiles down at him.
Caspian slaps Destrya's back and our horse breaks into a run.
Caspian and I stand there for a moment.
"Where's another horse?" My brother abruptly.
"What?" I ask confused.
He runs out of the room and returns with a horse.
"Caspian, no, Peter expects you and Verity to lead the army, just in case he can't," I protest.
"You'll be alright, will you?" He asks as he gives me a quick hug, but I hold onto him. He breaks free anyway and jumps onto the horse, and the next moment, he's gone.
I head outside of the how and take my place with the archers. Waiting for High King Peter, King Edmund, Queen Verity and Queen Ruth to emerge.

Verity's pov
As we get ready to leave the how, Peter looks at both Edmund, Ruth, and me.
"I just want you to know, I love the three of you very much, even though we get into quarrels as siblings do..."
He's interrupted by Ruth, who hugs him, and he hugs her back. Edmund and I do the same.
"Just in case we don't make it..." he begins, but Edmund cuts him off.
"Peter, you've got a duel to fight, let's not waste time."
"I'll go up to the archers now," Ruth says, "Goodbye."
"Goodbye, Ruth," Peter says back to her.
Then she leaves.
I grab Peter's shield and Edmund, Peter's sword.
"Come on," I say, letting my elder brother lead the way.
We walk out of the show; cheers rise as the High King comes out, followed by Edmund and me.
We walked up towards the ruins, where Glenstorm and Bulgy Bear already stood, where the fight would take place.
Miraz and his three Marshalls stand on the other side; thankfully, Lord Raven isn't among them. Well, Miraz is sitting in a chair.
Miraz stands up and puts on his helmet, as Peter unshielded his sword and steps forward
From our group a chorus of cheers rings.
I handed my brother his shield, and he stepped forward just as Miraz did.
"There's still time to surrender!" Yelled Miraz.
"Well, feel free," Peter commented.
"How many more must die for the throne?" Asked the king.
"Just one," answers Peter, as he puts down the mask on his helmet.
I watch as my brother stands on a rock and jumps down from it; the two kings charge at each other.
The duel begins.