03 | Devon

WE
MEET
AGAIN
III

"Mr. Montaire, Sir, morale is going down because the people are saying you aren't answering your calls."

I don't even have to look up from my desk to know Josie is peeping through my office door. Too scared to fully step in my office herself.

As calmly as I can muster up the words, I bite out "Well, Josie, considering you send up every damn call to my line — even though you're a receptionist, It gets hard to keep up with calls because you're too incompetent to answer them yourself."

I sigh loudly enough for the whole building to hear, "Might I add, you're a receptionist?"

Josie's eyes widens before she starts to cower behind the door even more. I almost want to laugh at how pathetic she looks right now but I decide against it.

"Sir, there's only so much I can do." She squeaks out. Josie's eyes are officially out of my sight, her forehead is the only thing that can be seen from my doorway.

I mentally curse, the headache that's been pushed back is slowly resurfacing and it's taking everything in me not to blow up the whole entire office altogether.

Ever since Maria, my assistant, quit, the office has officially gone downhill. Everyone's been running around the office like little mice trying to fill her load but it's failing miserably.

Josie is a great example. If I had known Maria was picking up Josie's slack, I would've fired Josie on the spot.

I miss Maria. Desperately.

Maria is sweet elderly woman, around her sixties, and the time for Maria to retire would come soon but I totally lost track of time.

She's been working with me ever since I took over the office and has been nothing but a CEO's blessing.

Despite her age, she's killer at her job but she's at the age where she's got to tend to her grandchildren and live that sweet retirement life with her husband so who am I to stop her?

"Devon quit scaring her." The soft feminine voice breaks through my thoughts and I'm met with familiar dark-brown eyes.

"Alessia." I say flatly.

My sister rolls her eyes, plopping herself on the black leather chair in front of desk. She's viciously chomping on her gum and my eyes instantly narrow in on her. "Please stop that."

Alessia momentarily stops, a slow smirk forms her face before she's back to chomping.

Alessia's job in life is to piss me off and she aces it every time.

"What are you doing here?" I question, quirking up a curious brow. She never visits unless it's of course, to piss me off.

"Can I not visit my brother at work?" Alessia feigns innocence and that alone has my alert going haywire.

"Cut the bullshit." I bite out, my patience wearing thin.

I look past Alessia to see if Josie is still at my doorway but she's long gone now.