Chapter 22 The Duel Between My Brother and the Tyrant Miraz

Verity's pov

Verity's pov

They lunge at each other, their swords clashing against their shields.
Edmund wears an excited look on his face, but I remain solemn.
Miraz knocks Peter's helmet off his face, I cringe, but my brother continues.
He swings his sword at the tyrant's leg, who grunts in pain. Miraz got the first blow.
Miraz fights back, knocks Peter down, and steps on his shield, twisting his arm. Peter cries out in agony.
I grab Ed's hand holding on to it tightly. He squeezes it gently.
Bugly Bear sucks his paws and shrieks in dismay.
My brother struggles to get up, so he rolls on the ground while fighting Miraz, finally knocking him down on the ground and giving him a chance to get to his feet.
At that moment I see Caspian and Susan ride toward us. I'm surprised a bit because I thought, Susan and Lucy were supposed to go alone.
"Wait, where's Lucy?" I ask Edmund.
"She'll be alright," Edmund assures me.
"Does, His Highness need respite," mocks Miraz.
"Five minutes," begs Peter.
"Three," he answers quickly.
Miraz goes back to his men, while Edmund goes for Peter, picks up his helmet and helps him back.
He cringes in pain.
"Are you alright?" I ask.
"Yes," Peter nods, he turns to Susan, who stands beside me."Lucy?"
"She got through, with a little help," Susan replies, eyeing Caspian.
"Thanks," Peter said gratefully.
"Well, you were busy," Caspian explains.
"Caspian!" Cried Leona, she was down from her place among the archers.
She runs to hug him and he hugs her back.
"Better get out there, just in case," Peter tells Susan, "I don't expect the Telmarines to keep their word and Ruth can't do it alone."
He looks over at Miraz.
"I don't think they're even thinking of surrender," I comment drily.
Susan walks over to Peter and pulls him into a hug. He groans in pain.
"Sorry," she says.
"It's alright," he replies.
Edmund and I look back at the crowd of restless Narnians.
"Keep smiling," Ed tells Peter.
Our brother raises his sword and grins.
A cheer runs from the crowd.
Peter sits down on a chair and groans when Caspian removes his armpiece for his armour.
"I think it's dislocated." He tells us.
Edmund rushes to his side, trying to relocate his arm, and I lay a
hand on my elder brother's shoulder.
"What do you think happens back at home, if you die here?" He asks the both of us.
"Please, don't think about it, Pete," I say to him.
He looks straight into each of our eyes, "You know you two have always been there and I never really..."
At that moment, Edmund readjusts his arm, sending him into a few more groans.
"Save it for later," Edmund says.
"If there is a later," I scan the large Telmarine army, searching for Lord Raven, but I couldn't see him.
Edmund helps Peter up and hands him his sword and his helmet; he shakes his head at the helmet, as Miraz doesn't have one either.
The two kings continue the fight, and for a few moments, nothing happens except swords scraping against shields.
But then Miraz gets Peter down, and with a desperate attempt, my brother gets the tyrant down. As the two kings rise to their feet, Peter manages to get rid of Miraz's sword. Thus the king only had his shield to protect himself.
Peter slashes at but misses the king, unfortunately.
But Miraz fights back, making Peter drop his weapons.
He hits my brother with his shield, grinning, thinking it was just a game. I grasp Edmund's arm.
Peter grabs hold of Miraz's shield and turns around, twisting it as he does. Miraz yells and hits Peter in the face with his arm.
Sending Peter against a stone, the tyrant picks up his sword and slashes it at Peter, but misses my intelligent brother.
Peter goes and hits Miraz's injury, who yells in agony, "Respite!"
Peter stands and waits for Miraz, I know he's probably thinking of giving Miraz what he wanted.
"Nows not the time for chivalry, Peter," shouts Edmund.
Peter heads back, but then Miraz gets up and swings his sword at him.
I cover my eyes, "Peter!" I cry
As Edmund yells, "Lookout!"
Peter turns around, grabs Miraz's sword, and stabs him in the leg.
The painful look on Miraz's face, Peter had won! Miraz kneels, while Peter holds his sword, ready to finish him off.
"Come on, Pete, finish him off!" I say to my brother.
Miraz looks straight at him, "What's the matter, boy, too cowardly to take a life."
"It's not mine to take," Peter replies, he looks over at Caspian and hands the sword to him.
Caspian takes it, and Peter steps back; I pat my brother's arm. I think what he did was more noble than winning a hundred victories.

Leona's pov
I watched up from the ledge with Susan, Ruth, and the other archers. My brother stepped forward over to Miraz.
"Perhaps I was wrong," I can hear my uncle say, "Maybe you do have the makings of a Telmarine king."
My brother threws his sword back into the ground, yelling."Not like you," Caspian answers angrily, "Keep your life, but I am giving the Narnians back their freedom."
A cheer runs out from the Narnians, I smile down at my brother.
I watch as Lord Sospesian walks over to Miraz and helps him up. I can't hear what he's saying, but a few minutes later, my uncle grips his side, and he falls to the ground. A red arrow was at his chest.
I looked at Susan; those were her arrows.
"Susan, that's your arrow!" Exclaims Ruth.
"I didn't do it," she says, shocked at the scene before her.
"Treachery!" Shouts Lord Sospesian, "They shot him, they murdered our king!"
He runs to his troops, as they get ready. I should have known the Temarines would find an excuse to fight, even if they had to kill their king.