Chapter 23 The Second Battle of Beruna

Verity's pov

I was expecting this.
"You ready?" Peter asks me.
I nod, "I wouldn't be if you hadn't made it."
"Be ready," Peter yells raising his sword.
I can see a soldier charging towards him.
"Peter!" Caspian and I both yell.
I unsheathe my sword, but my brother already has gotten the Telmarine down. The Telmarines begin to use their catapults, causing large craters in the ground.
"It's time," I order Caspian, who is already on a horse and Glenstorm.
They nod and head back to the how.
The Telmarines begin to take charge.
"Archers to the ready!" Yells Susan and Leona. Susan and Ruth get their bows ready and Leona pulls out her sword.
"One, Two, Three," Peter counts and I join in.
"Four, Five, Six," We continue; I can hear the roar of Caspian and Glenstorm and some of our troops beneath our feet.
"Seven, Eight,"
"Take your aim!" Susan shouts.
"Stay with them," Trumpkin and Ruth order.
"Ten!" Shouts Peter, "Get Ready."
"Now!" My sisters and Leona cry.
The ground crumbles under the Telmarine's feet. A shower of arrows flies over us and unto the soldiers. A few soldiers that try to get out from the big hole fall back in when they get hit by the arrows.
Edmund mounts a horse, and as our fight begins.
"Charge!" Shouts Peter.
A trap door, from the ground, opens and out comes Caspian, with some of our troops and Glenstorm behind him.
We seem to be on a good start, I can only hope that my plan for the griffins will decimate the catapult numbers to zero.
As the rest of the Telmarine troops get closer, I turn to look at Peter. He stops in the middle of the fighting and looks up to the sky.
There come the griffins, some with archers, and the rest with rocks.
They make a desperate attempt to get rid of the Telmarine's greatest advantage. I see a more menacing-looking machinery approaching.
"No!" I cry.
The catapults get rid of our griffins easily and a huge arrow kills them off too.
"No...Those sly old foxes, they hid that machinery from us."
Peter turns to Susan, "Lucy?" He asks.
I see my sister shake her head in despair. Ruth looks just as worried as our older sister.
With the army approaching, we had no other choice.
"Back to the how!" My brother shouts.
We all retreat. Peter and I run back with our other troops. Huge rocks from the catapults hit our fortress.
"What will we do?" Ruth asks frightened.
"Brace yourselves!" Cries Susan.
The opening of the how encloses with rocks, just as our first troops enter.
Peter and I stop just in time. I look around in horror. We might never make it out alive.

Leona's pov
As the rocks close up the how, a tree gives way, causing Susan to fall.
"Trumpkin!" Ruth cries, getting on her knees, and trying to help her, but Trumpkin reaches her first.
I look down to see Verity, Caspian, and Peter look up with concern.
All of a sudden, Trumpkin loses hold of Susan, and she lands on a stone.
"They might need you two down there," Trumpkin tells Ruth and me, so we get down too.
We join Susan, Peter, Verity, and Caspian, below. I look around, our army is holding up pretty well, but the Telmarine army is just as good.
Edmund joins us drops his crossbow, and unsheathes his sword.
"Finally you're using it," Verity jokes
"You know a crossbow is not as good as a bow and arrow or sword."
"Verity, you don't have to start an argument now," Ruth scolds her.
"I was just saying," Verity replies innocently.
We all look at Peter as if he's the leader. Verity unsheathes her sword then.
The High King breaks into a run, and we follow; I'm right in the middle of the battle.

Verity's pov
Now all that was left to do was fight for our lives and Narnia.
I was with Peter and was about to get another soldier down when I came face to face with Lord Raven.
"I got you now, cousin, there is no way to escape," he chuckles.
I slash my sword at him, but miss and he pushes me into the hole.
"Verity!" I can hear Ruth cry.
He grabs a crossbow and is about to shoot it at me, then I see him fall to the ground dead.
Standing behind him was Peter, my older brother.
He gets down the hole and helps me up. I look at my greatest enemy lying dead at my feet. My fear was gone, well, some of it. There was still a bloody battle to get through. Oh and where was Lucy?

3rd person
Lucy didn't know where she was anymore, she had been riding for hours. She wondered if her siblings were alive or if they were all dead.
She looked around and saw a Telmarine chasing her.
"Faster, Destrya," she cried, "Faster."
At that moment she saw a lion appear, the greatest lion ever heard of. The High King of all High Kings of Narnia.
She was thrown from the horse at her shock.
The lion attacked the soldier, and in a moment he stood, standing tall and straight.
"Aslan!" Lucy cried, she ran over to him and hugged him.
The lion laughed and lay on the ground and she lay beside him, burying her head in his fur.
"I knew it was you the whole time, but the others didn't believe me."
"And why would that have stopped you from coming to me?" Aslan asked.
"I'm sorry, I'm too scared to come alone," she admitted, "Why couldn't you show yourselves, why couldn't you come roaring in and save us just like last time."
"Things never happen the same way twice, dear one." The lion answered.
Lucy's eyes lit up, it was the same thing he had said in her dream.
"If I'd come earlier and everyone who died... could I have stopped that?" She asks.
"We can never know what would have happened." The lion replies, "But what will happen is an entirely another matter." He gets up and stretches.
"You mean you'll help," Lucy asks excitedly.
"Of course and so will you," Aslan nods.
"Oh, wish I was braver," Lucy replies.
"If you'd be any braver, you'd be a lioness, now I think you're friends have slept long enough, don't you?" Aslan tells her, giving out a roar that shook the ground.