Two sides of a coin

If the freezing rain that had nestled throughout Danny's clothes wasn't enough to sour his mood, then he didn't know what would. It could've been the heavy fabric enveloping his body or the sold-out umbrellas that had made his mood match his clothes with how dampened they were. He knew that if life wasn't treating him like a fisherman who can only fish out trash already, then it was now because why the fuck was Akiko Yosano sitting right next to Danny with a towel and a stern face?

"I got a call. I'm sure you can guess who it was from." Yosano spoke while rubbing the towel across Danny's clothes to soak up the rainwater that was like a parasite to his clothes. "Hey, hate the message, not the messenger. Just warm up so you don't catch a cold."

Yosano had always been protective over Ranpo. They were closer than conjoined twins due to their intertwined pasts that branched off into who they were today. It was half the reason Ranpo calling Yosano about the split could be foreseen by a toddler. It's just common sense. However, despite her focus tending to drift towards Ranpo at all hours of the day, she still proceeded with care when comforting those Ranpo held dear to him so it had only given Danny a slight shock when her hands pressed a hot cup of coffee into his own.

Danny sat across from Yosano, his eyes fixed on his cup of coffee. He took a sip, hoping to calm his nerves, but it only made him more anxious. He knew that Yosano would defend Ranpo to the very ends of this world, and he wasn't sure if he was ready to face the wrath of a protective younger sister. "You know, Danny," Yosano spoke softly, breaking the silence between them. "I understand why you had to break things off with Ranpo. It wasn't an easy decision to make, but I know you had your reasons."

Danny looked up at Yosano, surprised by her words. He had expected her to be angry with him for leaving her brother, but she seemed to support his decision.

"I just couldn't keep providing for a boyfriend that was more concerned with money and gifts than the well-being of their partner," Danny replied, his voice shaking slightly. "I had to get out of the relationship before something terrible happened."

Yosano nodded in agreement, understanding the gravity of Danny's situation. "I know, and I don't blame you for it, it was the right choice. But you need to be careful, Danny. The agency isn't going to take your departure lightly, and they might try to come after you. They're just as protective of Ranpo's well-being as I am. After all, he's their best detective. If he's too emotional to solve an important case then it could fall into shambles."

Danny's heart sank at the thought of being hunted down by the agency, but he knew that Yosano was right. He had to be careful and avoid the agency for a while. "I'll be careful," Danny promised, his voice more confident now. "Thank you for understanding, Yosano. It means a lot to me."

Yosano smiled at Danny, patting his hand gently. "Of course, Danny. We're friends, and we need to look out for each other. Just remember, if you need anything, I'm here for you."

The heavy rain outside the corner shop finally calmed down to a stop, and Yosano stood up from her seat, bidding farewell to Danny. "I have to go to work now. Take care, Danny," she said, patting his shoulder before leaving the store.

Danny sat there longer, lost in thought, wondering what he'd do next. He knew he couldn't just hide from the agency forever while also not wanting to risk running into them again so soon.

Meanwhile, Kunikida was in the office, scolding Yosano for being late. "You know we have a schedule to keep, Yosano. You can't just show up whenever you want," he said sternly.

Yosano rolled her eyes, not in the mood for Kunikida's lectures. "I'm sorry, okay? The rain was heavy, and I had to take shelter in a corner shop. It's not like I can control the weather. I'm quite pleased with my decision. I got to see Danny, whom I hadn't seen in a short while." she retorted.