Telephones

Kenji approached Ranpo's desk, noticing the sour mood of the usually cheerful detective. "Hey, Ranpo-san, is everything okay?" Kenji asked, concerned.

Ranpo sighed and looked up at Kenji. "No, not really," he replied, his voice low.

Kenji furrowed his brows. "What happened?" he asked gently.

Ranpo hesitated for a moment before confiding in the 14-year-old. "My boyfriend just broke up with me," he said, keeping the details vague.

Kenji's expression softened as he nodded in understanding. "I'm sorry to hear that, Ranpo-san. Breakups can be tough," he said, trying to offer some comfort.

Ranpo nodded, a hint of gratitude in his eyes. "Thank you, Kenji-kun. It means a lot to me that you're willing to listen," he said, feeling a little better just by talking about it.

Kenji smiled warmly. "Of course, Ranpo-san. I'm always here if you need someone to talk to," he said, offering the older man some much-needed support.

Ranpo's demeanour brightened after his chat with Kenji. Something about his pure, childish innocence was a relief to have around. It was a refreshing feeling for Ranpo as much as for everyone else in the ADA.

Kenji, however, hadn't been the only one watching Ranpo.

Atsushi had only recently joined the ADA but had gotten along with most of the members nicely, even chatting with Ranpo and the Tanizakis when going places with them for any cases. Atsushi had recently had his first encounter with the Port Mafia while by Jun'ichiro's side, resulting in the poor teen bombarded with compliments ranging from his quick thinking, ability use, and overall combat skills, leaving the redhead flustered and oblivious of how to accept such compliments, hoping for someone or something to save him.

"Hey, have you taken notice of any of the odd things happening around here recently, Tanizaki-san?" Atsushi asked, hoping it wasn't just him who had noticed the man, who resembled an Egyptian mummy,'s absence. "Ranpo's sad for some reason all of a sudden, and Dazai is missing! Shouldn't we be more concerned about Dazai's disappearance?"

Tanizaki noted Atsushi's questions, considering them for a long minute while he raised his index finger and thumb to his chin in thought. 

"I suppose we should. It isn't uncommon for Dazai to randomly disappear for a bit and then come back displeased and talking about one of his fun new ways of suicide failing," Tanizaki considerately noted. He wanted to take all possibilities into account. Knowing Dazai, he could have weaselled himself into the strangest situation and come out relatively unscathed. "I'm considering whether Dazai's secret ability is immortality." He added humorously, wanting to keep the conversation light while easing Atsushi's worries. The silver-haired boy was still new to the agency. Tanizaki would hate for his anxiety to rise so early in his journey.

Kunikida's sudden presence was startling to both of the younger boys, both not having anticipated his silent passing by.

 "do not worry about that Sorry-waste of good bandages. He's probably just out harassing women by asking them to commit double suicide with him! Don't sweat over such mediocre things like that. As for Ranpo, he's just sulking like an angsty teenage boy since he got dumped. Pay it no mind." Kunikida's voice was firm as he sounded confident in his words. Believing both issues to be inconsequential while encouraging the two to brush them off. "now get back to work. The paperwork won't do itself." Kunikida thoughtfully reminded as he walked off, a stack of papers in hand while he sat at his desk.

------------

Ding