Unravelling and Falling Chapter 2

Brushing her hair away from her face, Jane made her way through the corridors, chatter fading as she stepped closer to the shower block. Her eyes landed on the door, and she heard heavy and fast footsteps getting closer to her. The door swung open, and Jane saw Kim rushing out, her hands in her pockets, her head down. Jane looked at her as she left before keeping on walking towards the door. She entered and walked towards the mirrors, inspecting her face, her eyes caught a dark form in one of the shower stalls, and she spun on her heels, furrowing her brows. Jane placed her things in the last shower stall, turning on the water so it could get warmer before walking towards the middle one, sliding the curtain away, her face remaining stoic. She let go of the curtain, her hand resting along her thigh. Jane stared at the dead inmate, her eyes studying Cindy Lou's state. She sighed, thinking about how the Governor was going to rip the head of whatever officer was on duty at the kitchen this morning. As she saw no movement from the inmate, Jane took off her robe and hanged it before walking towards the panic button. She pressed the red button, hearing the alert ringing in her ears as she walked away, disrobing, walking back to the last cubicle to take her shower. Jane sighed as the warm water ran down her body, slowly relaxing her muscles. The younger woman finished washing her hair when she heard the door of the shower block open harshly, heels echoing within the walls. Jane turned her head and saw Joan alongside officer Miles, nurse Atkins, and a male officer. She saw the male officer about to leave the room, but Jane shook her head negatively, before nodding towards the Governor, the male officer followed her gaze, and nodded at the gesture. Jane watched as nurse Atkins stood by the body of Cindy Lou, trying to catch a pulse but finding none, something which had seemed to anger the older woman greatly.

"How are there drugs in this prison again?!" Shouted the Governor. "Did you search her ?"
"Nothing on her, Governor," answered Linda.
"Toss her cell. There's more where this came from. I want it found."
"Yes, Governor."
"Now!" Shouted the older woman.
"Yes, Governor."

Linda and the male officer left the room, and Jane wrapped her towel around her body, pushing the curtain aside, watching as Joan kneeled in front of the dead inmate, her nose twitching at the sigh.

"She was already like that when I arrived."

The older woman turned her head right away, surprised to see Jane, and stood on her feet, staring at the younger woman. Her hair was dripping on her shoulders and back. She saw some droplets sink between her breasts and inhaled sharply.

"Do you know anything?"
"I'm afraid not, Governor. There was no one when I arrived, well except-"
"You saw no one leaving the shower block?"
"No, Governor."

Jane nodded, and Joan stepped closer, looking menacingly at her, shooting a side glance at the nurse who busied herself with the dead inmate. Joan looked down at the younger woman, seeing her glancing around to make sure no one was watching.

"There was someone," she whispered.

Joan furrowed her brows parting her lips, and Jane nodded negatively.

"She saw me. If I tell, she'll tell Smith."
"Kitchen workers?"

Jane agreed, and Joan's gaze lowered to her cleavage, her nose twitching as she saw a drop of water disappearing down her chest. The older woman parted, walking back to the middle stall as Jane smirked and took her things, laying them down on the bench. She let her towel drop on the floor and started drying her hair.

"Once you're done here, you'll return to your un-"

The younger woman spun on her heels when she didn't hear the end of the sentence and saw Joan staring at her body, her eyes trailing up and down wantonly, her jaw tensing while nurse Atkins stared at Jane wide-eyed, probably thinking she had a death wish. Jane heard the deep inhale coming from the older woman and trailed her towel from her hair, down to the front of her body, drying her skin lazily, tilting her head on the side, an eyebrow raised.