The Bitch Is Back Chapter 2

How could he?! Joan paced up and down her cell, mumbling to herself, passing her hand in her hair, tugging harshly. She had just met with Nina's junior, and she still couldn't believe it. How could he turn on her after all that she had done for him?! The thought made her blood boil. Jesper would pay in due time. Was she really alone? Could she really trust no one? Would everyone turn on her in the end?

"Dead men tell no tales," whispered the older woman.

Her nose twitched, and she turned away from the glass panel, the tensing of her jaw worsening by the second. One more reason for her to get into General. Dealing with Jesper would be easier once she'd have access to more than a few officers who refused to talk to her simply because Vera had told them not to. She needed someone to do the deed for her. Someone whom she could have something over. She'd have to find someone.

She heard knocking coming from behind and turned slowly, glaring at whoever dared to interact with her, but her expression softened slightly when she saw Brenda and the furrow of her brows as she seemed to study her. The Greek officer opened the door and glanced around the room to make sure they were alone before looking back at Joan, who was standing in the middle of her cell.

"What's gotten into you? Seemed like you wanted to rip my head off."
"No."
"No?.."
"It has nothing to do with you, just... Something I hadn't anticipated."
"Wouldn't be the first time," remarked Brenda.

Joan stared pointedly at her, and the other woman lifted her hands, her eyebrows shooting upwards.

"That bad, uh?"
"What is?"
"That meeting with the lawyer."
"How do you know?"
"Joan, I'm literally assigned to Protection to babysit you, how could I not know?"
"Hm..."

Sighing, Brenda took a glance outside and passed her thumbs under her utility belt, her eyes ending on Joan again, seizing her up.

"Want for me to pass Jane a message?"

She saw the older woman look at her with a somewhat pained expression, but it didn't last long, as her face hardened, and she raised an eyebrow.

"I have nothing to say to Foster, you'd do well to remember that."
"Well, Jane wonders why you're behaving this way, for once I think you succeeded to stun her. She wants to know."
"What Foster wants is not my priority. I couldn't care less," finished the older woman, turning to walk further in her cell.

The furrow between Brenda's brows deepened, the questions flying across her face as she closed the door, casting perplexed glances at the tall figure who had her back turned to her, but she did catch onto the way her shoulder slumped and the way she lowered her head, more questions fusing within her mind.

* * * * * 

"All right, listen up, ladies. Uh..." Started Bea.

The inmates present in the dinning room all stared at the Top Dog, save for Jane who seemed taken in by the food on her plate, sort of out of it. H1 stared expectantly at their friend, while the Red Right Hand wondered what could have prompted the redhead to make an announcement.

"I'm sorry, but the Department said no to conjugal visits," finally said Bea.

Complaints echoed throughout the room, fist hitting tables in exasperation, sighs and groans as the women took in the new.

"Why?" Asked Boomer.
"I tried my best."
"Well, why didn't VinegarTits fight harder for us?" She added.
"I dunno, maybe she didn't appreciate being pelted with dirty tampons," retorted Bea as she stared pointedly at the Red Right Hand, seeing laughter and disbelief come from their table.
"Come on, seriously. We don't have to put up with this. If the men at Walford can get conjugal visits, then so can we. Some of us might take no for an answer, but I don't, and I won't. Hands up, who wants a root?" Asked Kaz.