The Bitch Is Back Chapter 3

Trigger Warning:S4 EP3 Joan-Sinclair/Showers

The coldness of the air surrounding her passed through the layers of clothing as she walked between officers, Vera leading the march. She held onto her basket as they made their way past inmates, through doors, hearing the insults hurled at her, the rattle of the metal fence enclosing these animals, trying to make abstraction of it all. She passed a gate and Juice spat at her, making her pause for a brief second, wanting to crawl out of her skin, to rub her cheek until it was bright red and raw. She tried not to gag, following the petite woman arriving in front of the yard leading her to H3. Whispers began to create a faint rumbling sound, and Jane stared from her seat, gritting her teeth. She had heard the commotion, and so did H1 and the Red Right Hand. Her only comfort would be that Joan wasn't going to be with inmates who had a history with her.

H1 stared as the older woman made her way into the yard, seeing how events would unravel, but Bea had to keep in a corner of her mind the fact she had to keep the women away from the Freak if she wanted for the working relationship and the conjugal visits to remain an option. The Red Right Hand watched sceptical as inmates made their way around the officers and the older woman, hearing the whispers and insults muttered towards her. So much that Kaz shared a look with Allie, not fully comprehending what was going on, still somewhere at the back of her mind, she hadn't forgotten what Jane had told her and if the insults coming from the other yard hadn't been enough, she'd be ready to bet the woman in front of her, going to their unit, was the one Jane had saved all those months ago.

More women started to gather closer to the party, and Jane stood up as some women stood before Miss Bennett, preventing her from moving forward. Jane shot a glance at the Top Dog, shaking her head as she saw her staring, seemingly interested by the situation, and she took another step forward when she heard the Governor tell the women to move aside, but she paused when she heard someone whistle.
Everybody in the yard turned to face the redhead, seeing her nod at the women, making them move from the passage to go into H3. Joan stared at Smith, seeing the way she watched her every move and her eyes inevitably fell on Jane, but something put her off about the way she was looking at her. She didn't have the time to ponder about it much as she was led inside the facility, leaving Jane to stare as she left, before taking a step to follow them.

"Foster!

Jane turned and saw Bea staring pointedly at her, an eyebrow raised. Her eyes fell on Kaz who was watching the scene unfold perplexed, and the younger woman smiled at the redhead before taking the same path as Joan, shooting a dark look at the women who moved even a few centimetres, warning them off.
Inside the facility, Joan was still following the petite woman, the officers behind her following closely and telling off inmates passing by. They arrived in front of H3 and Vera entered the unit being the dark haired woman.

"An officer will be stationed outside the unit at all times."
"That must be quite a strain on the overtime budget."
"It's either that or cover the medical costs when the women tear you apart."

Joan entered her cell, swallowing thickly as she slowly made her way inside her new residence, surveying it. It all seemed different from this side of the bars.

"Fill in a visitor's form if you'd like to see anyone," added Vera crossing her arms behind her back.

At this, Joan swallowed back a scoff. More taunting, so it seemed, parading as a simple induction speech.

"The next count is after lunch, Dinner is at-"
"Six, last count at seven thirty. You can spare me the induction speech," finished Joan, turning to face Vera.
"Why are you doing this? Putting your life in danger."
"I have every confidence in your ability to keep me safe. Last thing a new Governor needs is a major incident."
"Your dining room privileges are suspended for the time being. Meals will be delivered. You are also confined to your unit, and you cannot have any contact with Foster whatsoever."
"What makes you think I'd have contact with an inmate, Vera? Either way, it's not as if you had any ground to keep us apart, I give it a day at most."
"Officers have been warned that if Foster is seen near your unit or your cell, or talking to you, she'll end up in the slot. Now, I guess it entirely depends on how much you want Jane to go through the slot for you."