Unravelling and Falling Chapter 3

Jane was standing by her cell door, staring at the dark haired woman inside the top dog's cell, an eyebrow raised. She heard footsteps and saw the redhead halt when she saw the screws at the entrance and in front of her cell. Bea glanced at Jane who shrugged before looking back inside Bea's cell, seeing the latter walk towards it. Joan was flipping through books, anger visible on her face. Jane stared at her, seeing her flip through things, gritting her teeth, moving erratically.

"Oh. I must have missed the order for the cell toss."
"You didn't. But as this is my prison, I can search any cell, at any time, at my discretion."
"Thought you didn't like getting your hands dirty."
"I'm beginning to think that policy might have to change."

The younger woman saw Joan stop and realized she had seen Bea's drawing of her. She saw the surprise and anger mixing on her features and she sighed, realizing what was happening.

"That's a good likeness, don't you think? I can do one for your office if you'd like."

Joan raised her hand about to detach the drawing when Bea's hand shot upward preventing her from doing damaging the drawing. She grabbed her harshly by the chin, her anger simmering beneath the surface, visible by all. She clenched her jaw and let go of the top dog, taking off her latex gloves exiting the cell. Her eye crossed path with Jane who was standing straight and stoic, but she seemed to have a different edge. Joan shook her head, hearing the baby's cries getting louder inside her skull. She started walking away, the cries creating a growing uneasy feeling inside of her, causing her to halt in front of Doreen's cell.

"Could someone be a mother to that child!"

Jane watched as Joan left the unit quickly, breathing heavily. She hadn't seen her like that ever, even when they had spoken about what seemed to be hard subjects for the older woman, when she was unravelling. Bea exited her cell, glaring at Jane, nodding towards her her.

"Seems like your girlfriend's not feeling so well. Maybe you should go out there and do whatever it is you do."

The younger woman saw the top dog going towards the entrance of the unit, but she took big steps and yanked her back, causing the redhead's back to collide with the wall.

"You're playing a very dangerous game, Bea."
"Let me go."
"No."

Bea tried to hit her but Jane turned her over, holding one arm behind her back, placing a hand on her mouth to muffle her voice.

"By the end of this, one of you will die. I hope you realize it's a death sentence you brought over your head. I know it was you who left during the night. Now I don't know what for. But I could very well go to the Governor with that."

The redhead bit Jane's hand and the later barely winced, but still moved her hand away.

"If you do that, you'll be branded a lagger and the women will kill you."
"Thing is... I'm not afraid of them, nor what they could do to me. But you are. You are afraid of the consequences, you act tough, but inside you loath having to do this. And sometimes you revel into it, you thrive. And it scares you, because you stand on that same line I stand on. The Governor stands on. Everybody here stands on. And you cross it and you're hating yourself for it, but at the same time you think it's necessary. You're nothing but a farce. Because inside, you're just like anybody in this place."

Jane let go of the top dog, impassive, staring at her. Bea rubbed her arm, glaring at the younger woman, her brows furrowing.

"What are we to you?! Fucking entertainment?"
"Yes. Dare I say you're all better than cinema."

Jane walked away entering her cell, closing her door behind her, while Bea stared incredulously, anger rising withing her chest. She gritted her teeth, feeling the throbbing in her arm lessen, and she spun on her heels, a clear idea as to how make the younger woman pay alongside the Governor.