Chapter 5

The moment Lennox opened the door to his camper van, I screamed.

"OMG OMG OMG GET IT AWAY." I panicked and jumped onto my brother's back.

That was a mistake because he was carrying my backpack, in addition to his, so he stumbled forward, hitting his face flat on the window of the van.

"Dude- c'mon, I just got that cleaned." Lennox groaned.

"Achilles, heel." Delilah commanded, patting it once it settled, though it kept its eyes on me.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU MENTION YOU HAVE A GERMAN SHEPHERD." I cried in horror, trying to gather myself.

"You're going on a mission that might take your life and this is what you're afraid of?" Lennox said in amusement.

"She's afraid of dogs." Reggie said unhelpfully, recovering from my attack.

"Afraid might be an understatement." I scoffed.

"Achilles is a good dog. Aren't you a good little boy," Delilah cooed, scratching the doggo's head.

I looked at her with disgust. "Why do you even bring a dog along?"

"Oh we found him at the border of Italy." Len said, helping us get our stuff settled down. "Just jumped out of nowhere into the middle of the road. It's like he wants to die again."

"Again?" Reggie furrowed his eyebrow.

"My lovely girlfriend claims that it's her best friend."

I blinked. "I'm sorry her what?"

"There was an incident a couple months ago and her best friend died," Len explained, after a nod of permission from Delilah. "Apparently, this dog behaves like him."

"Apparently?"

"I've never met him. So I'm trusting whatever Delilah says, not that I could even get rid of that dog, he keeps on coming back." Lennox looked at Achilles as if questioning his life. "How do you keep coming back?"

"Louis has a huge heart for dogs." Delilah said softly, playing with the German Shepherd's fur. "When we were little, he claimed that one day when he dies, he'll come back as a dog."

"Why, cause if he's a baby he'll be too young to get to know you?" Reggie asked.

"Reggie!" I scolded. "Have some respect for Louis."

"Okay, sorry, my bad." Reggie said. His choice of words may sound rude, but his tone implied that he was sincerely sorry and that seemed enough for Delilah.

"No worries, Len jokes about it all the time."

"Only cause you started it." her boyfriend frowned. "Can we stop blaming me for things?"

Delilah and the dog tilted their heads in sync.

"Who else am I supposed to blame on them? You're my only companion who talks, no offence, Archs."

The dog barked in agreement...I think.

Inside the caravan, I made myself comfortable on the bed. I did my best to not think what the two of them had done on this exact same bed because that would be weird, awkward and uncomfortable.

"It's not much," Lennox started as he climbed into the driverseat.

"You kidding, bro?" Reggie amazed, "It's amazing! How'd you even afford it?"

"Family business." Delilah mumbled, getting into the passenger seat.

I yelped at the German Shepherd, Louis/Achilles hopped in after her and made its way towards me, its tail waddling like it's mocking me.