Chapter 23: Winny

You know the last name's Winters, right?

It kind of.. works like a curse.

Why? Yeah, well—because every man in our family? Always born in the Winter. My grandad arrived in December, my dad made a grand entrance in January—my uncle was born in February.. It's like Mother Nature herself is in for the joke. And the result? They're all stubborn assholes. I'm not excluding my dad, sorry God. Oh, and RIP grandad, uncle.

But what I really can't fathom.. is how Tyler's so invested in our last names. You see, ever since we were young, he had a peculiar.. fondness, towards my surname—even to the point where, in fact, he gave me a nickname from it.

Just like that.

You know, his favorite 'Winny'. And.. just like how I'm the only one who can call him Tyty, only he can call me Winny. So, pals, imagine my stress, when I hear Dominic—

"Winny!"

Hunt spots you as you enter the cafeteria, calling out your nickname—correction. Tyler's nickname. Startled by his sudden outburst for God only knows how many times, you give him a nervous grin. But even your nervous grin fades as you sense a sudden drop in temperature. The weather's already cold, so imagine how cold this became. Your eyes immediately dart around the room.. until they land on Tyler's icy glare, sending chills down your spine..

Tyler walks down the hallway, hands tucked in his pockets when he overhears an annoying.. familiar voice calling you. Closing his eyes, Tyler's steps falter as the word slices through the air. His hands clenched into fists in his pockets, jaw tightening. A surge of possessiveness courses through him when he snaps his head and turns.. to see Dom, approaching you with a broad grin, saying, "Winny baby, wait up!"

Your one and only nickname, the one he thought only he could use.. He scrunches his face in irritation as you scuttle away despite Dom's call. You're seen glancing left and right in haste, seemingly wanting to get as further away from him as possible—and you turn the corner and disappear from his sight with Hunt trailing behind you. Tyler can't help but unleash his silent rant. "Winny—and now he—Winny baby?! Is this fucking dude for real—"

"WINNEH!!!"

You're on River vs Cardinals baseball game—and as it's Dominic's turn, he calls you by Tyler's nickname, boldly.

"THIS ONE'S FOR YOU BABY!"

His declaration is met with cheers—doesn't matter—because you notice Tyler on one of the bases. Wrapped in his white and red gloves, his fists clenched together tightly, glare fixed on Dom. But what scared you the most is not the fact that he looked like he's about to punch Dom right then and there—it's the fact that you can see fire in his eyes from afar.. and all.. the things he might do—

 the things he might do—