Chapter 2: One Year Later

Sam was lying on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. Ashley was sitting on a bean bag chair, her nose fixed in a book. "I can't believe it's been over a year, and still no word or sign of Hannah or Beth... I feel so bad that we did that..." Sam said, obviously guilt-ridden. Ashley closed her book as Sam sat up on the edge of her bed. "Me too... but why did Hannah run off into the woods? And Beth shouldn't have gone after her... The woods are very dangerous. I mean, come on. We didn't mean it. It was a joke. So what if she liked Mike? I like Chris." Ashley spit out. "Oh my God! You like Chris?!" Sam asked with excitement. Ashley, slightly embarrassed, said: "Yes. But this isn't about me, it's about Hannah and Beth..." "Yeah, I know..." Sam said, putting her head down.

Suddenly, Josh called. "Hey, are you guys ready for the big resort weekend?!" He excitedly asked. "Hell yeah!" They both said simultaneously, as Sam had put her phone on speaker. "We're all packed" She said. "Come pick us up in one hour." Sam hung up the phone. Ashley said: "Oh, this is gonna be such a fun weekend!!" "I know right? I need it." Sam agreed "This will help us forget what happened last year... hopefully." Ashley put her hand on Sam's shoulder. She said: "It might. We just need to put it behind us and have fun! Although Blackwood Mountain is a bit scary... especially at night" Sam smiled, but still felt awful about the whole thing.

Josh pulled up in front of Sam's house in his SUV exactly an hour later, as asked. Sam and Ashley ran over, put their stuff in the back, and hopped in - Sam in the passenger seat and Ashley behind her. "Here we go, ladies!" said Josh, as he drove away from Sam's house. "The others are meeting us at the resort." Both girls said: "Cool!". After about 40 minutes of no talking, Sam texted Ashley: "I kinda like Josh... I mean, "like" like..." Ashley texted back quickly: "OMG!! How cute! Lol ". Sam responded with a simple smiley face.