13. Academy's Return Arc

It's like that.

December 17th, 1856.
———
Nearly two months had passed since the train incident, yet for Amy, the passage of time felt increasingly murky, blurring the distinction between day and night and unsettling her once predictable routine.

Her steps to the academy was measured, each step laden with contemplation. In contrast to the traumatic events she had weathered, the past few weeks have been surprisingly kind to her, marked only by minor academic challenges—a welcome respite.

As Amy settled onto her seat, her recent academic oversights—missing two lectures in a mere week—weighed on her. Her introspection was gently interrupted by Caroline's enthusiastic greeting and warm smile.

"Amy!" Caroline's voice, brimming with cheerfulness, cut through Amy's reflective silence. A small, appreciative smile graced Amy's lips in response.

"Have you ever kept a diary before? Vanessa says it helps a lot with mental stress," Caroline ventured, sparking Amy's curiosity amidst her inner turmoil.

"Really? Why?" Amy inquired, her interest kindled by the notion, her own experiences with stress verging on overwhelming. Actually, to say she was stressed would be an understatement. She was utterly tormented.

"Well, Vanessa said it's because the process of writing can release pent-up feelings and negative thoughts, which helps to quiet the mind," Caroline shared, offering a suggestion that appeared as a glimmer of solace to Amy amidst her ongoing struggle to find peace.

"Is that so?" Amy murmured, her gaze dropping to the grainy texture of the wooden table before her, contemplating Caroline's advice.

"Mhm!" Caroline affirmed with a nod, her enthusiasm undimmed. "You should really give it a try," she suggested, taking a seat beside Amy. She then shifted to face Amy, her expression bright with another piece of news.

"Oh, by the way! The Haeni siblings are getting unsuspended soon!" Caroline shared, her voice bubbling with excitement at the prospect.

"Oh, right... I hadn't even realized how quickly time has passed. Oh... god," Amy murmured, feeling a mix of emotions at the news. The Haeni siblings, Madeline and Felix, had become quite notable within the Academy, though for very different reasons. Originating from Skiora and having transferred to Snezhalm.

They were infamous not for their scholastic achievements but for their controversial actions, namely their involvement in setting up an illicit fight club in the school's basements, leading to their suspension—a clear defiance of the Academy's rules.

Madeline Haeni, who was in the same grade as Caroline and Amy, enjoyed a positive reputation, distinguished by her kindness and warmth. Her brother Felix, however, was a stark contrast. At 21, a grade above them and with a formidable amount of spell energy, Felix was known not only for his talents but for his unpleasant attitude toward those he considered inferior to himself.

Amy, unfortunately born with a significantly low amount of spell energy, often found herself the target of Felix's cruel taunts and bullying. Despite Madeline's sincere attempts to stop her brother's behavior, Felix's harassment of Amy remained unabated, leaving Amy apprehensive about his impending return to the Academy.

Caroline's question hung in the air, laced with genuine concern, "Why do you seem so down? Weren't you looking forward to Madeline's return?" Her expression shifted from curiosity to understanding as she grasped the heart of Amy's distress. "Oh... you're worried about Felix, aren't you? Listen, I bet the suspension gave him plenty of time to cool off. I'm sure he won't bother you anymore."