5

After that day in the Knee, the two of them seemed to fall into a pattern. It was strange, but... good.

Every morning, without fail, Luz woke Amity up by throwing off her covers, complaining that the witch slept past the alarm again.

In truth, the past couple days Luz had been waking her up before the alarm, but Amity didn't bother to correct her.

Every morning, Amity complained about the ghost invading her personal space constantly, while the girl stuck out her tongue and reminded Amity that she had nowhere else to go.

In truth, she'd gotten used to Luz's presence now.

She'd then take a shower and get dressed, coming back to find the ghost staring out her window with the same sad look in her eyes.

Although, the expression had started to melt off her face when she saw Amity emerging from the bathroom.

The pair would then descend the stairs into the kitchen, where Amity would grab a box of cereal or something else equally unhealthy, while Luz chided her about it.

You need to eat a balanced breakfast, this sugary crap isn't good for you.

"Oh shush, you don't have a say in this. It tastes good."

Eggs and fruit also taste good.

Amity would then proceed to fill a heaping bowl just to spite her, and the ghost would stand off to the side, fake pouting.

Some mornings her siblings would join her for breakfast, always finding something to tease her about. Ed would put his feet up on the table, and Em would slap him when he made a particularly awful joke. Amity would glare at them, shoving cereal down her throat as fast possibly just so she could leave.

Amity would hear ethereal laughter in her ears from Luz when she watched the twins pick on her. While the two weren't looking, she would whip around and glare at the ghost, who covered her mouth and adopted that unconvincing innocent expression.

Eventually, the two would make their way to school, bickering the whole way, though it had a more playful note to it now. They would cover a wide array of topics, but somehow Amity always felt like she was losing the debate. Perhaps it was the lingering guilt she felt.

At school, Luz would accompany her to her classes, occasionally putting in her two cents when a teacher asked a question regarding colors. In a stroke of luck, Amity hadn't been called out about her lack of being able to see colors yet.

During classes, she would occasionally look up and see Luz staring at her, before hastily shifting her eyes away and looking at whatever the lesson was. Amity asked her about it once, warranting an unsatisfactory answer.

People watching.

She'd scoffed, deciding not to press any further.

School would end, and the two would walk back to the house, where Amity would do her homework, Luz bombarding her with questions the entire time. She would scowl, but always answer them.

In truth, she relished every question that the ghost asked. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that she could gloat her knowledge, but that didn't feel quite right.

Amity would fall asleep late at night, and the cycle would start again the next morning.

It was strange, but... nice.

~~~

One Saturday afternoon, Amity was doing a worksheet when her pen ran out of ink. Sighing, she reached into her bag and rooted around for another pen, letting out a louder sigh when she failed to find one.