"Echoes of Hurt: When Best Friends Wound"

Hi everyone
Hope you like it regina_mysterious565
Please vote and comment!
[ The matches and location are all fictional ]

The story unfolds during a three-match test series between India and South Africa, taking place in Cape town.

So the first two matches are over and the score is 1-1..Virat will be joining them tomorrow for the last test match which is after a week

Rohit stared at his phone screen, its dim illumination piercing the darkness of the room. "Enraged" seemed like an understatement as he scrolled through Instagram and saw a photo of Virat with another guy named Kartik. The jealousy boiling within him intensified at the sight of Virat with someone unfamiliar, compounded by the realization that he had forgotten to call him after the match, knowing Virat would be furious.

"Who the hell is he" Ro messaged Vi, his tone tinged with curiosity and a hint of annoyance.

Vi, with a sly grin, replied, "Oh, he is my best friend," knowing fully well it would ignite a spark of jealousy in Ro.

"Best friend?...You are cheating on me?.." Ro's words brimmed with anger and a deep sense of betrayal.

" What to do when my best friend don't have time for me" Vi replied with a hint of disappointment, his message carrying a tinge of sadness and longing for his friend's attention.

" So you're just gonna forget about me and start making new best friends just because I couldn't call you once?" Ro's response carried a mixture of hurt and frustration, his disappointment evident in his words.

" I know him from way back in school, so let's set the record straight... he was my best friend before you, and he didn't forget me like you" Vi retorted, his tone defensive yet tinged with a subtle pang of regret.

But to Ro, those words felt like a stab to the heart, stirring up a whirlwind of emotions-betrayal, insecurity, and a deep-seated fear of being replaced.

"Okay," was the only message he could muster in response. After a minute of heavy silence, he continued, "Sorry I couldn't call you after the match. Kul and Ishu weren't okay with their performance... they needed me, Got caught up with them and ended up staying over. Hope you understand." Each word felt like a struggle as he battled with his own emotions, unable to express the depth of his hurt.

Vi read the message, his heart sinking as he absorbed the unexpected depth of Ro's hurt. He hadn't anticipated this reaction; he knew Ro would have been occupied with the kids, as always. His anger had been a fleeting moment, amplified by his own need for reassurance. He never intended to wound Ro; he was simply trying to provoke a response, to remind Ro of his place in Vi's life. No one surpassed Ro in Vi's eyes, and the thought that Ro could doubt that pierced him to the core. He expected him to fight for his monkey... But words, once spoken, couldn't be retrieved, and Vi grappled with the realization that his actions had caused irreparable harm. Still, he held onto hope that they would reconcile when they met in Cape Town the next day; he trusted that their bond was strong enough to weather this storm. So, he chose silence over further confrontation, hoping it would be all okay once they meet.

On the other side
As the night crept on, Ro couldn't find a moment of peace. Vi's words kept echoing in his mind, stirring up a whirlwind of feelings. Despite his tiredness, sleep just wouldn't come.
He couldn't stop thinking about what Vi had said, and it hurt more each time he replayed their conversation. Memories of their friendship flashed through his mind.
With each passing hour, Ro felt more and more desperate for sleep, but it seemed to slip further away. He felt lost and alone, struggling to come to terms with the fact that things weren't right between him and Vi. Deep down he knew it was all temporary and it'll be okay once they meet but sometimes you just can't control how you feel.