Chapter Seven

Hadley

After Owen and I left the control room, we headed to the lab to try and talk some sense into Dr. Wu about this thing. Before we could get into the lab, a security guard stopped us and refused to let us through. This, of course, pissed me off even more than I already was.

"Do you not understand how serious this is right now?" I asked, holding back my anger. "Thousands of people will die if you don't let us in there."

"We need to talk to Dr. Wu so we can stop it," Owen said, slight irritation apparent in his voice.

"I can't let you through," the guard said, his buff figure blocking our way in. "You do not have the proper identification."

"I don't give a shit!" I spat, my anger slowly rising. Owen was about to say something, but I held up my hand. "You need to let us in. There is an extremely dangerous dinosaur out of containment, and if we don't do something about it, more people will die. Now, if you could politely move out of the doorway, we may actually be able to stop this before it gets out of hand any further."

"Like I said before," the guard said, his face showing no emotion or reaction. "I can't let you in. So you can take that pretty little face of yours and bother someone else."

"Okay, buddy," I growled, my anger now boiling over. "Don't objectify me! And I'm not five, so stop talking to me like I am before I--"

Owen stopped me by pulling me back and covering my mouth with his hand to prevent the string of expletives that was about to leave my lips. I slowly relaxed at his touch, even though I was still fuming.

"Listen, we really need to talk to him," Owen said, loosening his grip on me slightly. "There is a giant, man-eating hybrid out there."

"You just don't get it, do you?" The guard laughed, shaking his head. "Just because there's an asset out of containment, it doesn't mean I can just let anybody run into the lab."

"What is your problem?" Owen yelled, his anger getting the best of him.

"You and your little girlfriend are my problem right now," he said, taking a few steps towards Owen, who pushed me behind him protectively.

"Hey!" Owen yelled. "We have bigger things to worry about. Back up."

"Leave before I make you," the guard said, staring us down as Owen glared, turning on his heel and leaving the area. I followed behind.

Owen walked into the innovation center, planning who knows what in his head. He stopped short, causing me to bump into him. I looked around him to see why, when my eyes met Claire's.

"Owen, Hadley, I need you," she said, her voice panicky. I furrowed my eyebrows slightly, wondering why her attitude toward us had changed so drastically.

"Okay," Owen said, cocking an eyebrow. I moved around him to hear what Claire had to say.

"I need your help," she said. "My nephews, they're out in the valley. Please, if anything happens to them..."

When she trailed off, Owen pulled her and I off to the side before asking, "How old?"

"Uh, the um, the older one he's like high school age," she said, holding her hand up a few inches above her head. "and the younger one, he's um, he's a few years--"

"You don't know how old your nephews are?" I asked, a look of disbelief on mine and Owen's faces. Claire didn't say anything.

"Alright, we'll help," Owen said, running a hand through his hair. "I need you to get your car and meet Hadley and I at my place. Okay?"