Chapter Eleven

Hadley

My heart began to beat faster as Owen, Barry, and I started the engines to our vehicles. I adjusted the gun that was strapped to my back and sat down, squeezing the handle bars tightly. Owen looked over his right shoulder giving Barry a curt nod, which he returned. Owen then turned towards me, giving me a small smile. I nodded, showing a thumbs up. I craned my neck to look up at the paddock worker that had fallen into the cage earlier, giving him the signal. He nodded and pushed the button, opening the Raptors' cages.

The four dinosaurs bolted out, disappearing in the trees in search of their target. Owen, Barry, and I followed closely behind them with the armored truck full of ACU men slightly behind us, steering to avoid trees and boulders that got in our way.

Owen took a sharp turn, nearly sliding into a tree. I sucked in a sharp breath and rolled my eyes. Leave it to him to almost wipe out while chasing dinosaurs. He accelerated after regaining traction, speeding up just enough to ride alongside our Raptors.

"They're slowing down," I said after about five minutes of following the Raptors.

"They've got something," Owen said, a smirk taking place on his lips. He slowed to a stop in front of us and put a fist in the air, signaling for us to stop. The ACU soldiers got out of the truck and into position, ready to fire at the Indominus. The three of us got our guns ready, aiming ahead.

We squatted down by a fallen tree, resting our weapons on its rough bark to steady the sight. I slowly let out a breath, leaning into Owen's side to make sure that he was still next to me. He quickly turned his head to place a gentle kiss on my temple before directing his attention back to the Raptors, who were looking around the area.

A stressed roar came from deeper in the trees. Within seconds, several lasers were switched on, coming from the ACU's guns. The Raptors stood still, but Blue was getting anxious, hissing in the direction of the roar. Slowly, the Indominus Rex emerged from the trees, a low growl rumbling through its chest. It towered over our Raptors, tilting it's head to the side slightly. Blue let out a short noise, to which the I-Rex replied with a growl.

"Something's wrong," Barry muttered, eyes never leaving the dinosaurs. I shook my head, my pulse increasing with every breath I took. "They're communicating."

Communicating? I thought, how would- Then it hit me like a sack of dino food.

"I know why they wouldn't tell us what it's made of," Owen muttered, confirming my suspicions.

"It's part Velociraptor,"

As soon as the words left my mouth, the four Raptors turned towards us, low growls escaping their mouths. Before I could say anything else, an ACU soldier yelled, "Engage!"

Guns fired repeatedly, empty shells falling to the ground. The I-Rex ran, close to escaping until a soldier shot at her with a bazooka, lighting up the forest with bright oranges and yellows. It didn't take long for the Indominus to recover and run in the other direction. Owen and I began to fire, getting as many shots in as possible before the dinosaur left our sight.

"Watch your six!" Owen shouted, walking in the direction of the Indominus with his gun raised. "The Raptors got a new alpha."

We slowly walked through the burning area of the forest, fire licking at our ankles. I paid no attention to it, only focusing on my surroundings and the possibility that one of my Raptors could jump out of nowhere and kill me. No biggie.

Before we could advance any further, an ACU soldier-I think his name was Anthony-screamed as one of the Raptors attacked him. Rapid gunfire began again, people aiming at a target they couldn't see.