SO CLOSE, YET SO FAR.

In the days that followed, Halima settled into her new home, gradually making it her own. She discovered the little quirks and charms of each room, finding comfort in the familiar scents of bakhoor she's been burning ever since she stepped into the house and the sounds that filled the air.

In the evenings, she visited the orphanage she used to visit frequently when she lived with her parents. She loved spending time with the children, playing games, reading stories, and offering support and care. The orphanage was a place where she felt purposeful and connected, where she could make a positive impact on the lives of those in need.

On days when she didn't feel like leaving the house, she would sit on the patio, a tranquil space where she could relax, unwind, and enjoy the serenity of nature as the sky transformed under the moonlight.

She often reflected on conversations with her sister and wondered why her 'husband' hadn't shown up even two weeks after their wedding. Neither her parents nor his had mentioned anything about his absence.

Did they even know about his absence? Was the million-dollar question.

It had been two weeks and some days since Halima and Arshad's wedding, and Arshad had never shown up, not even once. He only sent Alex, his PA, to check on things in his house and ensure Halima was not in need. Alex brought four maids two days after the wedding: Naomi, the supervisor; Anna, the cook; Ariel, Maria, and Deborah, the cleaners. Alex returned a day later with groceries and then never came back.

The empty house served as a constant reminder of her shattered dreams and the uncertainty ahead.

As the moon rose high in the sky, casting a gentle glow over Aaliyah's face, she whispered to herself, "I can't do this. I'm tired of staying in this house all alone. And I do not wish to spend a day here again." She let out a loud cry, made her way to her room, and threw a veil over her adire boubou.

Halima's heart felt heavy as she drove back to her parents' house, tears blurring her vision. As she approached her childhood home, memories flooded her mind.

The familiar scent of her mother's cooking greeted her, providing a sense of comfort and safety immediately she stepped in. Taking a deep breath, she walked further and found her parents sitting in the living room.

"Assalam Alaikum." Halima said softly, her voice filled with sadness and determination.

They both looked up, confusion evident on their faces.

"Waalaikum Salam. Come in." Ammiey said, standing up from her seat.

"I'm sorry ammiey, I'm sorry Daada, but I've made up my mind. I can't stay in that empty house any longer."

Her parents shared a shocked and confused look, then turned their gazes back to where she was still standing. They wondered what had happened to make her drive in such a state and why she was making this declaration before any meaningful pleasantries.

Her mother reached out and held her hand gently. "My darling, laqad aftaqadtuk kathira. adkhula. 'akhbirni, ma almushkilatu?; I've missed you so much. Come in. Tell me, what's wrong?" Ammiey said, concern evident in her voice. "Akhbirni bima hadath; tell me what happened."

They took a seat where Ammiey was sitting initially, feeling the weight of her emotions. Halima began to sob until she couldn't cry anymore. All this while, her dad just watched the duo in confusion.

"Go upstairs, wash your face, and wait for me. I'll be with you in a few." Her mother said with utmost concern.

When Halima's mother made sure her daughter was out of sight, she turned to her husband.