Chapter 3: The Shift Begins

The car pulled into the parking lot. Yoko stepped out after turning it off and looked at the cloud-covered sky, then the trees. They seemed burnt. No leaves grew on them, and moss had grown on the place's sign. "Good Lord..."

He closed the car door, locking the vehicle. The car beeped, signaling it was now locked. On the phone, which was on speaker, Kuronue spoke. "Alright, now listen. I know you tend to fall asleep. A word of advice is to NOT fall asleep. You don't know what could happen when your eyes close. One of those freaky creatures could slip in and–"

"I think I've heard enough of your traumatizing shit, bestie," Yoko replied with a sneer.

The chimera laughed on the other end before hanging up and shooting a quick image of a paper that had the words "Hav fun att werk, daddy!" in blue Expo marker. He had tasked Kuronue with babysitting Cinnamoroll that day while he was gone. Yoko exhaled, putting his keys in his pockets. "Jesus... I think his friends need to help him with his spelling..."

Grammarly. He entered The Jester's Cookery after unlocking the doors to see the lobby completely dark. The front desk was deserted. Yoko then spotted a conveniently placed DVD on the desk with a note telling him to play it in the security office. So he took the DVD and walked to the security office, sitting before a few monitors. He put the disc into the DVD player and watched as the screen filled with vibrant colors. A lady with frizzy and big 80s-themed hair popped up wearing a jester costume. "Welcome to The Jester's Cookery, my friend! My name's Patty, and I'll be guiding you through your job as a security guard!" she said.

"Funny. Is this based on medieval times? ... I'm digging it," Yoko thought.

Sure, he saw some medieval-themed items while walking in. He was just trying to confirm his suspicions. Patty was then standing before the prize counter, which the fox demon had seen on his way to the office. "Kids love toys, right? Well, here at The Jester's Cookery, we love to spoil these children! There are plenty of items they can get with the tickets they won at the many arcade games. They range from ski-ball to claw machines to dancing games to so much more."

The screen went static for a moment before returning to Patty. She was now sitting in the same chair Yoko was sitting in. "As a security guard, you have two jobs. One. Make sure no one breaks in. Two. Keep the children in check."

He watched the screen go black. The DVD was over. Yoko sat there, blinking in silence. Children... Kuronue mentioned something like that before.

~~~

Yoko leaned back in his bed and nodded, still listening to his best friend speak on the phone. The business had been shut down because some kind of freak accident involving kids and robots occurred. "Now that's freaky, right?" Kuronue added.

"A little too freaky if you ask me. But... I'm kinda good with scary stuff. I saw Terrifier and its sequel and hardly flinched," Yoko responded.

"Says the one who couldn't look when the kills got too gory."

"Dude, stop!! That was only like TWO TIMES!!!"

The two young men laughed at the memory. They both remember Yoko covering his face with a blanket, asking if the kills were done. But he was right on another end of the argument; he wouldn't flinch or jump 6 feet into the air from a jumpscare. The two continued to talk until their chatting got serious. "But really. Are you gonna give it a shot?" Kuronue asked.

Yoko pursed his lips as his eyes trailed from the ceiling to his bedroom door. It was a questionable job. Did he have to go through an interview? Did he have to fill out an application? He didn't verbally ask these questions as he silently nodded. The sound of the shifting pillow behind his head must've made enough noise for Kuronue to hear, for he grinned ear to ear and snapped his right hand. "Then it's settled! Work will start tomorrow evening. Your shift is from 12 AM to 6 AM. Sounds easy enough, right?" he asked.

"Wait– THAT'S how long I have to work?? I'm second-guessing it," Yoko grumbled.

Kuronue sneered. "Bro, chill. It's not THAT bad. Just do the work, keep an eye on the creatures, make sure they don't do anything stupid, and you'll be done. And do it for 5 nights," he added.

"Fine. ... I'll do it."

~~~

That made more sense the more he thought about it. Each tick of the clock echoed like the distant toll of a sunken bell as the night wove its enchantment around the office, lulling Yoko deeper into its embrace. His head dipped lower, a gentle sway to the rhythm of dreams yet uncharted. But the air was thick with the heavy scent of simmering spices and the hushed whispers of secrets yet to be revealed. "I... might need to get some... sleep..." Yoko muttered.

He would probably be back here the next day if all went well. Soon, the fox demon was fast asleep.

...

A figure emerged from the shadows of the Jester's Cookery, her presence almost ethereal as she slowly moved the curtains covering her face. She was a vision of contradictions; a human girl with striking sea-blue eyes, adorned with fox ears atop her head, her attire a blend of pirate garb and whimsical charm. A fox tail swayed behind her with silent grace, betraying her otherworldly nature. With a mischievous smile, she watched Yoko with a curious blend of amusement and sympathy. But her realization hit when she heard something bump something from 40 yards away—a tail.

He was a fox. 

Like her.

Her "siblings," fellow misfits of the night, were hidden away in the depths of The Jester's Cookery, their sanctuary under watchful eyes. There were seven of them in total. But for now, it was the fox girl's turn to keep vigil, a silent guardian in the shadows. She made no move to disturb the guard, content to observe his descent into slumber with quiet reverence. The night was her playground; she would dance upon its edges, a fleeting presence in a world of dreams and shadows.