Chapter 1 - The Day it all began

My name is Clara Farley and I am a genetic freak. I wasn't always like this, but it has been a long time since I was normal. Let me tell you my story.

*************************************************************************************************

Nuclear Reactor deemed 'unfit for purpose' by recent standard check

A coastal reactor in South West England has been deemed unfit for purpose after a recent investigation. According to the Environment Agency, the dated reactor has not been upgraded to meet modern safety standards and could be a potential hazard.

A statement from the manager at the rector read "We can no longer guarantee reactor safety, however this does not necessarily mean that system failure will occur."

The reactor is scheduled to be decommissioned within three days.

************************************************************************************************

The dress was hideous. Pink, naturally, and because of the fact it was a gift from Gran, I had to wear it. Groaning internally, I yanked the hem down until it went past my knees. Unfortunately, it just made me look like a floral nun.

"Clara!" Mum's voice echoed through the house. "Clara sweetie, tea's ready and Gran is here! Come on down and say hello!" I pulled my favourite green sweater over my head and ran down the stairs. Gran was nattering to mum, who seemed to be attempting to look interested. A gentle tinkling sound told me that Tia was playing piano. Everything seemed normal, but a tingling up my spine told me something was wrong. Everything in the room looked different, but I didn't know why.

"Mum." My head was screaming, 'GET OUT!', but I couldn't understand why.

"What?" She smiled at me, "What is it darling?"

BANG