CHAPTER 4

Becky awoke in her cozy condominium to an unfamiliar scent; the air was thick with the unmistakable stench of smoke. As her senses were engulfed by the acrid odor, panic surged through her veins like a lightning bolt. With her heart pounding, she jolted out of bed, desperate to assess the danger that loomed.

Her mind raced as she threw on her silk robe, trying to gather her thoughts amidst the chaos. The smoke seemed to be everywhere, permeating the once tranquil residence. It clouded her vision and made her eyes burn with tears, obscuring her surroundings. Yet, with every cough, every gasping breath, fear fueled her determination to escape this invisible threat.

Stumbling through the hazy darkness, Becky fumbled her way towards the hallway. Her legs trembled beneath her as the smoke seemed to taunt her with its suffocating grasp. Her world had transformed into a nightmarish maze. The brave girl pushed forward, relying on her instincts and a glimmer of hope.

Her lungs screamed for air, but the smoke showed no mercy. Each inhalation carried little relief, only further suffocating her desperate cries for help. With every choking cough, Becky's courage wavered, yet she refused to succumb to panic.

Through the thin veil of smoke, she desperately called out for her mother, her voice raw and laden with fear. "Mom! Where are you?" Her pleas echoed through the eerie silence, but no response came. The lingering dread settled into her chest, pushing her forward with a grim determination.

Adrenaline coursed through Becky's veins, lending her strength as she maneuvered through the burning building. She could hear the faint sound of sirens in the distance, hope flickering within her battered chest. The knowledge that help was on the way drove her forward, energizing her with newfound resilience

Becky's mind raced, her thoughts consumed by one singular goal: reach her moms room. As smoke billowed around her, suffocating her, she relied on her instincts and not her sight. Each step felt uncertain, as if the very ground beneath her trembled. Coughing violently, she pressed onwards.

Becky's heart pounded in her chest, the sound competing with the ever-growing cacophony of sirens outside. Thoughts of escape briefly flickered in her mind, but she couldn't abandon her mother .

The hallway seemed endless, the walls seemingly closing in on her. Becky's fear threatened to overpower her, but she found strength in the love she felt for her mother. She pushed through, determined to save her.

Becky's mind raced, her thoughts consumed by one singular goal: reach her mom's room. As smoke billowed around her, suffocating her, she relied on her instincts and not her sight. Each step felt uncertain, as if the very ground beneath her trembled. Coughing violently, she pressed onwards, her determination pushing her beyond the bounds of fear.

She knew her mother's life hung in the balance, and no obstacle, real or imaginary, would impede her. With each step through the blinding haze, her imagination colluded with her determination, shaping the world around her into a fantastical realm.

As she neared her mother's room, the air crackled . With a newfound burst of energy, she charged forward

In the midst of chaos and despair, the room was enveloped by a thick haze of smoke, rendering it almost impossible to see anything beyond a few feet. Flames danced menacingly, devouring everything in their path, consuming the once peaceful home. Amongst the swirling darkness, young Becky found herself in the grip of fear, gasping for every breath of air, desperately seeking the familiar presence of her mother.

Becky screamed out mommy , her voice strained and desperate for air.

"Mommy!" she screamed, her voice strained and filled with desperation, as tears streamed down her terrified face, fighting to remain conscious.