CHAPTER 13

Becky was jolted awake by the sound of loud voices coming from the kitchen. She could hear the concern in their tones and it made her heart race with worry. She quickly got out of bed and made her way to the kitchen, her mind racing with all the possible scenarios that could be unfolding.

Joyce and Norman, huddled around the table. Her mother reading a letter, while nervously wringing her hands. Norman, the, bear of a man, his brow furrowed and his hands clenched into fists. Joyce was crying as he was comforting her, their faces wet with tears. Becky could see the pain in their eyes, and it broke her heart. Norman silently rose and disappeared.

As she reached the kitchen, she saw everyone huddled around the table, their faces etched with worry. "What's going on?" Becky asked, her voice filled with concern.

Her mother turned to her, concern in her eyes. "Becky, we need to talk," she said, her voice trembling.

"It's Alex, he left in the night, he said he isn't coming back. Joyce answered.

Becky felt a knot form in her stomach as she took a seat at the table. Joyce handed her the letter, her hands shaking slightly. Becky's heart sank as she read the words on the paper. It was a goodbye letter from Alex, to Norman and Joyce, saying he loved them but had to find himself.

Becky, clutching the crumpled letter in her shaking hands. The words swirled before her eyes, blurring with unshed tears. Alex had left.

"I'm so sorry," Becky read, her voice cracking. "I have to do this. I have to find out who I am, what I want in life. I can't keep living off of you guys, relying on you for everything. I need to figure out my own path."

I want you all to know that I love you, no matter what. I'll always be grateful for everything you've done for me. And I'll never forget you. You're my family, my parents and I'll always carry you with me."

Her mind spun with memories of their late-night conversations, their shared laughter, and silent moments that spoke volumes. How could he go, leaving behind a void that seemed impossible to fill?

As she traced his familiar handwriting, Becky felt a surge of emotions – sadness, anger, and a pang of longing. Was this the end of their story?

As Becky processed the news, a sudden gust of wind blew through the open window, scattering the papers on the table. The room fell silent, the only sound being the rustling of the letter in Becky's hands.

As she read the letter, Becky's mind raced with thoughts of Alex leaving. She couldn't believe he was really gone. She had grown so close to him over the past few months, and the thought of living without him was almost unbearable. She felt like a part of her was being torn away.

Becky's heart sank. "No, he can't be gone." She whispered, tears forming in her eyes.

"We have to go after him, we can't let him go through this alone." Becky said, her voice wavering. Trying to hold back her own tears. She knew he was right, but that didn't make it any easier. She felt like she was losing a part of herself, like a piece of her heart was being torn away.

The room was silent for a moment, the only sound the sniffles and sobs of Joyce. Then, Becky spoke up again, we have to find him!

Joyce and Sarah exchanged a look. "We'll call the neighbors the more people looking we'll find him faster. "

"Then I'll get dressed." Becky said, her resolve growing stronger.

Alex, please don't do something stupid Becky prayed silently.

Becky rushed up the stairs, her heart racing with every step. She had to find Alex and bring him back to the farm before Joyce completely fell apart. As she reached the top of the stairs, she heard a faint noise coming from the bathroom. She pushed open the door to find Norman sitting on the edge of the bathtub, his head in his hands, sobbing uncontrollably.