Chapter two: Meeting Elodie

Princess Elodie of Limart loves attention, and lives for it, in fact. It was her sustenance, her air, her very reason for existence. She was never more alive than when a roomful of people hung on her every word, her every gesture, her every breath. It was a power that she wielded with casual grace, honed through years of practice and privilege, as she got older, she grew taller and more pretty than anyone else. With her dark hair, piercing eyes, she was indeed good-looking. The boys loved her and the girls worshiped her. And Elodie? She soaked up the attention and reveled in it.

Elodie sat at the head of the long banquet table, Her dark hair cascading down her back, her piercing blue eyes seemed to sparkle with an inner fire, drawing people in with their intensity.

Her red lips curved into a seductive smile as she regaled her audience with tales of her latest adventures. The courtiers, drunk on her charm, hung on her every word, their laughter ringing through the hall.

But amidst the revelry, Elodie's gaze was fixed on one person in particular.

Bastien, his dark hair and piercing green eyes a stark contrast to her own fair features, as she looked at the man through her telescope.

Turning to her trusted lady-in-waiting Griete, Elodie confided in her about Bastien. "Look at him, Griete," Elodie went on. "My future husband. Bastien is the most handsome boy in Limart. That makes him the best."

Griete nodded knowingly, used to Elodie's fickle crushes on various men at court. But this time there was something different in Elodie's voice, a certain longing that Griete had never heard before.

"Perhaps you should make your intentions known," Griete suggested cautiously.

Elodie shook her head dismissively. "No need for that. I'm sure he'll come around soon enough."

But little did Elodie know that Bastien's heart belonged to another – exploring.

As Bastien heard the sound of hoofbeats moments before the horses burst through the Limart gates, In truth, one burst through; the other sort of meandered. Instantly, Bastion recognized the large black stallion and the man astride its back. It was Prince Laurent, the youngest son of King Xavier. Laurent was known for his impulsive behavior and love for adventure, often riding off on his own without any regard for his safety.

Behind him, his ever-present sidekick, Paul, was struggling to keep up on his shaggy pony. He stifled a groan and quickly ducked behind the cheese seller, hoping Laurent would not notice him.

He'd had one too many run-ins with the prince. Every time, it went the same way. Laurent was known for his impulsive behavior and love for adventure, often riding off on his own without any regard for his safety. And every time he returned unscathed, it only fueled his sense of invincibility.

Bastien knew this all too well. He was often tasked with retrieving Laurent from whatever dangerous situation he had gotten himself into. And each time, Laurent would simply laugh it off and move onto the next adventure.

But this time, as Bastien watched from afar, he could see something different in Laurent's eyes. It wasn't just the usual mischievous glint that Bastien was used to seeing. There was a sense of determination and purpose that he couldn't quite put his finger on.

As Laurent dismounted from his horse and greeted the cheering crowds, Bastien felt a twinge of jealousy. He knew that while he was stuck at court, Laurent was out living a life full of excitement and freedom.

As they came to a stop in front of the castle, Laurent dismounted from his horse with a wide grin on his face. Paul followed suit, all looking exhilarated from their wild ride.