CHAPTER EIGHTEEN ❀ STUCK IN THE MIDDLE ❀

iv SPY GAMES

PART ONE

RAVEN BRUSHED OFF THE AWKWARD ENCOUNTER WITH JJ AND TURNED HER ATTENTION TO THE GROUP, CHECKING ON THEM. She approached John B, Pope, and Kiara, who were huddled around the screen with matching smiles.

"What's going on?" Raven asked, trying to mask any lingering discomfort from her interaction with JJ. 

She noticed that the expressions on their faces had shifted from excitement to defeat. "It's not there," JB ran his hands through his hair.  

She immediately sought confirmation from Pope and Kiara, whose expressions mirrored the disappointment etched on John B's face. However, Pope avoided meeting her gaze altogether, and Kiara's eyes held the same despondency as John B's. It was evident that something had gone wrong.

Raven's mind raced as she tried to piece together what could have happened. Had someone beaten them to the gold? The thought was crushing, especially considering the risks they all had taken.

"Somebody beat us to it. If it was there it would've been found on the medal detector, okay?"

JJ mumbles were heard form the back of the boat. Raven watched JJ used his visibly working arms to spin the wheel turning the boat around by himself. She rolled her eyes at him and flopped down taking a seat. 

The journey back to shore was marked by a heavy silence, each member lost in their own thoughts. The hum of the boat's engine seemed to amplify the weight of their disappointment.

Pope sat beside Raven, his normally cheerful nature overshadowed by a sense of guilt as eye took quick glances at her every now and then. He made to sure hide his face fast as he occasionally rubbed the back of his neck.

Raven leaned against the railing, her gaze fixed back on the horizon as she tried tread carefully.  The dream of finding the gold had been within their grasp, only to slip away once again, leaving them with nothing but dashed hopes and unanswered questions.

JJ stood at the helm, his jaw set in a determined line as he navigated the boat through the choppy waters. His usual swagger was replaced by a stoic resolve, a silent acknowledgment of their collective defeat.

Kiara occupied herself with securing the equipment, her movements brisk and purposeful as she stowed away the gear. Despite her efforts to maintain a sense of composure, there was a flicker of disappointment in her eyes, a reflection of the shared disappointment felt by the group.