𝐌𝐈𝐑𝐑𝐎𝐑

It was a typical Sunday evening. Lazy, nobody went out, nobody cooked. As I relaxed with my family in the living room, eating our takeout dinner. Our TV show was cut short with a news broadcasting over it. It played the emergency sound and began speaking.

'If you see another person who looks identical to you, run away and hide.'

My eyebrows furrowed together, the TV turning off immediately after displaying the strange message. I look at my parents. They both didn't flinch, they just stared at the TV. I stand up and walk to the bathroom. As I enter the bathroom, I hear small taps on the window. I spun quickly to see the source of the sound, but there was nothing. No people, no rain, no animals. Not even a branch getting blown into the window.

I take a shaky breath and do my business. I walk back to the living room, trying to ignore the constant tapping behind me. I stop in my tracks at the sight displayed in the living room. My parents, standing, smiling, staring at me. I gave an awkward smile and dismissed myself. I walk to my bedroom, feeling the stares of my family burning through my back. I shut the door quietly behind me, and block it with a chair. Did I need to? Probably not, but it will let me sleep that night. I check the time on my phone, 8:47 P.M. I set my morning alarm and lay down.

After sleeping for about 3 hours, my phone blaring the emergency broadcast sound. I look at my phone.

'If you see another person who looks identical to you, run away and hide.'

I stare at the message, feeling my heart rate pick up. Suddenly I felt like I was about to be sick. I get up carefully and walk to the barricaded door. I quietly move the chair and open it. I tiptoed to the bathroom and shut the door, locking it.

I splashed water on my face, the coolness relaxing the nausea that bubbled in my stomach. I stood back up straight wiping my face off with the towel. I open my eyes to see my reflection. It was staring back at me, smiling. I scream in terror as It reaches through the mirror and grabs me. I fought against the thing, throwing it against the mirror. It shatters, the other me grabs a shard and looks at me, emotionless. I screamed, but it was cut short, my vision darkened and then, nothing.

I bolt upright, sweat dampened my skin, my heart pounding and my lungs going into overdrive trying to give me air. I look around, my room illuminated by the early morning sun. I grab my phone. Sunday. I sigh in relief. I go downstairs to see breakfast on the table, and my parents are laughing in the living room.

The day passed normally. Later that night, during dinner, I walk into the bathroom and then my parents scream. I remove the giant mirror and hide behind it, putting it back in its place. Hours pass until I hear footsteps coming to the bathroom. I cover my mouth to conceal the sounds from my breathing. The door opens.

My head shoots up. I looked at the mirror and I could see through it. I tap on the mirror, trying to get her attention. She spins around to look at the window. As she walked out I tapped harder, but it was no use. I waited hours until it was dark out.

I hear light footsteps coming to the bathroom. I look at the girl as she washes her face. She looks up at me and stares at me, she can see me. A burst of anger pulses through me as I leap from the mirror, grabbing her. She throws me into the mirror and it shatters. I grab a shard of glass and swing. Ending things once and for all.