Insanity

It was a Friday night, and I was trying to fall asleep. For some reason, I hadn't felt my best the whole day, but I didn't think much of it. I was laying in bed when I heard something. No, it wasn't the bed creaking or the wind outside; it was very clearly a voice. I shot up and listened for a second. Whoever, or whatever, it was, I couldn't exactly make out what they were saying; all I knew is that it kept getting louder and louder as if getting closer.

It stops, leading me to believe I was being delusional and imagining it all. But I heard it again, and it was so close. I heard it right in my ear, and this time I could tell what it was saying.

"Help," the voice breathed into my ear. I could feel it against my skin.

I shuddered and screamed out, "MOM! MOM HELP, SOMETHING'S HAPPENING!"

Almost immediately, my mother rushes in with a scared look on her face. By now I was already beside myself, crying.

"Honey, what's wrong?"

Through my tears, I managed to tell her what happened. She just looked at me like I had lost my mind.

"That's what you called me up for? You were probably dreaming, Sweethe-"

"I know what I heard," I mumbled, sniffling.

After that, she got up and left me there alone in the darkness. I didn't hear it anymore for the rest of the night.

That was about one year ago.

Nowadays, I just sit awake and listen. I still hear them, almost every night. You'd think by now I could just ignore them and go to sleep, but it's new every time. I don't talk to anyone about it, they'll just pass it off as insanity. My mom tried to put me in a ward, determined it would "fix me." Every time she tried, I ran out and sat alone. I was always alone, and I thought I would never find anyone that I could talk to, someone that will believe me. There was no one.

I thought that until I met them. The Kinetics.

"The Kinetics" is a group of people with supernatural abilities. They investigate areas and help people use their skills. They found me when I was out for a walk organizing my thoughts.

And now to the present day.

My name is Abigail Turner, and I am a Kinetic. I'm guessing you don't know what that is, so let me explain. A Kinetic is someone that can move objects without touching them and levitate. We're also clairvoyant, which means we are highly sensitive to the paranormal realm.

My job is to listen to the spirits and figure out why they're residing there. Sometimes it's like I'm having a conversation with a live human; it's chilling but thrilling.

To be honest, these people saved me. I went about life thinking I wasn't worthy of love and happiness. I felt like a mistake, a waste of space. With everyone calling me insane, I actually almost went crazy because of it. After they recruited me, I felt important, like I am alive for a reason; a very important reason, in fact.

To deal with the paranormal world.