Midnight Parole

After I shook hands with Ina in the Visitor Center of Fort Whiskey, my days in that wretched labor camp disguised as a Medium Security Prison continued for a little while longer.

It went a little something like this.

Back-breaking Mine-Craft labor every other day.

Subpar food every day.

Thinly veiled threats from Bijou and her lieutenants from time to time.

Frustrated glares from Warden Nerissa all the time.

Then, every so often, glimpses of Enma peeking out from the windows of her overly luxurious prison-apartment too. Always with that sly smirk painted on her lips.

Mother Sora, I wanted to sock it to her and break her nose. Maybe her glasses too.

I'd never get anywhere near Enma to get the chance to, though.

That was how I counted my days. Thankfully, I didn't get any more attempted pickaxe lobotomies during that time. One glance at Bijou told me that she'd love nothing more than to try to swing for my head again - preferably when Botan wasn't around.

Too bad for the rocky girl, though, Botan stuck with me like glue. Bijou would never get her chance to strike.

Peaceful as my days were, though, the lack of anything happening made me wonder if Ina had forgotten her promise. It was either that, or perhaps Ina was just bluffing to me the whole time.

The way Ina said 'tomorrow' got my hopes up a bit too much, perhaps. But you can't blame me for having wandering thoughts when I'm stuck in a prison cell for most of the freaking day!

Little did I know, though, that Ina had been busy as heck - and on the third night after I shook hands with her, Ina's plan went into full swing.

It started with me and Botan being called for a visit at an ungodly hour well past lights out - around when most of the prison was already asleep. To make the strange situation even stranger, it wasn't Warden Ravencroft's jailbirds who summoned us.

City PD officers had arrived at Fort Whiskey to pick us up. They came with a Federal court summons for a TEMPEST Act Special Parole hearing - not in Winningson City where they charged me for eight years, but in neighboring Wellaware State.

Botan, who had just been starting a catnap, winced and blinked with confusion.

"... what the hell is going on, Ouro?" Botan croaked, "Are these friends of yours too?"

"Sort of." I answered with a chuckle, "You'll understand soon enough. Let's get going."

Botan heaved a sigh and decided to play ball with me.

...

The City PD officers took me and Botan through the motions in getting out of Fort Whiskey. Most if not all of the jailbirds were caught by surprise by the sudden raid. Warden Nerissa even stormed out of her dormitory wearing... well, almost nothing else but a skimpy negligee and nightgown.

Holy crap, does she NOT wear underwear? Her 'clothes' left little to the imagination. Sheesh.

The only part of her uniform that she managed to bring was her police cap, but that - paired with her nightgown - made for a really interesting sight, to say the least. A pleasant sight too. Something you'd see in a centerfold magazine.

Though... a sight that might have made Mumei jealous.

Seeing Botan's bare muscular back was one thing, but looking at another bird in practically lingerie was something else entirely.