The Woman In The Mist (by Glenn Riley)

"There are worse prisons than stone and iron

"There are worse prisons than stone and iron. Some are made of mist and forgotten tales."

Thomas gripped the worn handlebars of his bicycle, the ache in his legs forgotten in the desperate fight against the rising chill. Sweat mingled with the biting November air, making him shiver as he fought his way up the last steep incline. Nights had a way of feeling both endless and brutally short when he stayed late at the office.

“Should’ve just driven in,” he grumbled to himself. The idea had merit. After all, his rust-speckled two-wheeler wasn’t a speed demon, and his cramped studio apartment lay a good ten miles outside the town of Hemlock Ridge. The decision, spurred mostly by guilt over skipping too many workouts, now seemed reckless.

As if the universe mocking him, the last streetlights sputtered and died as he turned onto Mill’s Hollow Road. The road was infamous in local lore, earning its place on those ghost-themed tours he loathed as a kid. He never bought into the spectral nonsense, but a wave of primal unease ran through him as the inky darkness seemed to engulf him completely.

“Stupid old wives’ tales…” he muttered under his breath, trying to steady his erratic breathing.

But then came the fog.

It rolled in from the marshlands bordering the road, thick tendrils of grey vapor snaking across the cracked asphalt. He slowed, feeling his skin prickle as the world shrunk down to a narrow swath of road illuminated by his feeble bike light. Every gnarled tree and overgrown bramble now seemed to writhe with sinister intent.

“Just my mind playing tricks,” he reasoned, the words coming out choked and uncertain. His voice felt lost, devoured by the oppressive mist. Each pedal stroke, once a mechanical habit, now became an act of defiance.

As if taunting him, a gust of wind swept across the road, carrying with it an echo of something that chilled him to the bone. It was a mournful wail, almost human, but not quite - more like a banshee shriek from the old folktales his grandmother used to love. His mind tried to explain it away – an owl, a fox, even the wind rattling through the hollow branches overhead. But it felt wrong, as if Hemlock Ridge itself was sighing in the thick, humid air.

Something moved in his peripheral vision. He stopped pedaling so abruptly he nearly tumbled over, heart suddenly doing a wild tap dance inside his ribs. His eyes squinted at the edge of the fog, focusing on a shadowy figure slowly detaching itself from the misty gloom. Just his imagination, playing tricks, he told himself.

But there it was – the ghost of Mill’s Hollow. As legend proclaimed, she was a woman. He could make out the silhouette of a long, flowing dress, yet an unnatural stillness pervaded her, a sort of absence of vitality. It was as if she were a figure plucked from an old, fading photograph.

“Hey there!” He croaked, hoping to inject false cheer into his voice. “Could you use some help?”

No reply. The fog muffled his words as the figure glided closer. Panic began its relentless crawl up his spine. There was something terribly wrong... the silence… the unmoving posture…the complete lack of a head.