Chapter Fourteen - The Water God

"But, but I don't understand. What do you mean you had no choice? You had no choice but to...sleep with her?" My voice cracked at the end and I winced.

My heart wrenched painfully as a pushed my hands under my lap to stop them shaking. To stop him from noticing. 

"I want you to understand. I didn't have a choice, because you didn't want me. I didn't even sleep with her, Blair. I've never slept with anyone ever since you came back. I was...heartbroken. Thats why she was in bed with me. I needed to forget, but I was never going to get that far. I know this isn't good enough, I know that it's never going to be good enough...I'm so sorry." He's usual smooth silky deep voice wasn't smooth anymore. It was low and croaky, as if he's holding a lot of emotion in.

I closed my eyes, letting it all sink in. What was I going to do?

Do I love him enough to forgive him? Even if he didn't sleep with her then, he did before.

Does he love me?

"Do you love me?" I asked tentatively. This was the one answer I needed, to make my decision. 

It was a soft reply, that I barely caught it, but I did. I did catch it, whether it was for the better or worse. I was yet to find out.

"Yes." 

Some unexplainable emotion shifted inside me. It was somewhere between, strange relief yet an undeniable sadness.

I couldn't handle it. I stood up and left. I left him, there. I ran and ran and ran, thankfully the rain had stopped. The sun was setting fast over the horizon, the last few streaks of orange and red turning into a light shade of pink in the darkening sky. Where can I go?

Finally, I let the tears streak down my chilled pink cheeks. 

I don't want to be the next Water Goddess.

I don't want Derek to choose Holly. 

Most of all, I don't want to love him.

It would have been so much more simple, if I didn't feel for him as I do. If he didn't feel for me the way he does.

I reached the beach, a place I knew which would calm me. I dug my toes deep into the cool sand and breathed out shakily. I kept on walking, trying to sort my heart out.

Which was more important?

My love for Derek or my love for the world I live in now? My beautiful loving mum, my kind caring dad, my new found best friend...or Derek.

And do I even love him enough to forgive him?

So many questions...What was I going to choose?

I sat down on the rocks facing the sea, white spindrift were crashing on the shore. The sea was raging, angry huge waves rocking the cliff face on my left. I stared ahead and noticed that little island once again. It was so far away, so tiny. The rumoured place where the mermen live. 

I stared up into the sky, now glittered with millions of sparkling stars that can only be seen in the countryside. A milky way curved it's way across the centre, a pathway leading nowhere. A single small tear fell across my cheek, this was the turning point of my life. 

All of a sudden I heard voices. Three voices. Two male and one annoyingly familiar squeaky girly voice. Holly. Whats she up to now?

I stayed silent as I head them walk on the path above and behind me. What were they saying?

"Why didn't you get her? Hm? It cant be that hard to kidnap one single girl. Seriously? I'll take $1000 off from your payment if you don't kidnap her by tomorrow evening. The ceremony is only a week away! Get her out quick. Otherwise you'll suffer the consequences!" Holly's voice shrieked at them. It was a different voice she used at school, in front of Derek. It was awfully sinister and evilly mature sounding. 

I peeked between the crack of the rocks and saw the two shadows of the men. They were big, they were buff and they were wearing the came clothes of the men I saw today. The men who were at my house. Chasing me.

I nearly let out a scream but quickly slapped my hand to my mouth. I think thats what did it, the sound of my hand slapping my mouth. They stopped talking. Oh my gawd. 

Holly was the one who wanted them to kidnap me. They were going to kidnap me. They heard me. 

I stiffened and waited. A few seconds later and shadow covered my cowering figure.

"oooo look what we've found here!" A satisfied menacing voice echoed from above me followed by a giggle.

Holly.

I'm going to kill that bitch.